Best Bargain Boogies – music previews with jack kilbride

<p>Jack Kilbride is back with another music review. This time on Drunk Mums and Woodlock.</p>

So it’s getting close to summer and uni is practically finished again for the year. After shouting too many drinks and buying too many coffees on Sunday morning recovery sessions, you need to start saving some cash. Some people would just stop themselves from going out, be the responsible adult and save their money for the summer parties. But no one ever had any fun being a responsible adult. You need to dance! You need to party! You need to go to one of these October bargain gigs!

Drunk Mums

They say getting drunk is all about losing your inhibitions, to stop you caring about what everyone thinks about your dance moves – even if they accurately resemble the movements of one of those inflatable tube men car yards actual think are good advertising. But just because the need to feed yourself means you can’t afford to get drunk doesn’t mean you have to stay at home. The solution: go to a place where everyone is so drunk that nobody is watching and definitely aren’t going to remember you.

The Drunk Mums fit the bill. They’re a hectic bunch of Melbourne lads and their lyrics are a testament to it. One single called ‘Plastic’ is about finding a piece of plastic in their backyard and not knowing what it was, another named ‘Nanganator’ is scripted as a tribute to ‘nangs’ – the inhaling of nitrous oxide for a quick high. Known for their rowdy live shows, the boys are kicking off a whirlwind Australian tour in support of their newest single, ‘Pub On My Own’. This gig is the gateway to one of the best nights of your broke life!

Howler, October 24, tickets $15

Woodlock

If you are looking for something a little less chaotic, Woodlock are probably more your cup of tea. Chances are you’ve probably seen these guys before, either at the free Tuesday BBQ in North Court or busking on the streets of Melbourne. Now I know what you’re thinking… “Is this guy trying to tell me that paying to see a busker play is a bargain?” Well, if you were thinking that (or are now), hear me out.

Shaped by years of entertaining tourists and shoppers, the trio are real crowd pleasers, with unique covers of Coldplay, Armin van Bueren, James Bae and Matt Corby scattered throughout their sets. The harmonious melodies of sibling vocalists Ezekiel and Zechariah Walters are sure to draw comparisons to American indie powerhouse Grizzly Bear or Triple j alumni, Boy and Bear who fittingly helped produce the band’s new single, ‘Sirens’. But it’s the band’s bearded, lanky and smiley drummer, Bowen Purcell, that instantly sets the group apart from the rest. With his snare and tom drums set atop milk crates, a bucket substitute for a kick drum and a solitary cymbal that he plays on the floor and dampens with his foot, Purcell shows that you don’t need fancy equipment to rock. The band’s blend of gorgeous vocals, acoustic tinkling, synthesised bass and impressive drumming are something that truly deserves a spot on the stage. For only $15 dollars at The Corner, I assure you they will not let you down.

The Corner, October 30, tickets $15