Review: Yeti’s Demon Dive Bar

<p>Don&#8217;t get me wrong, I definitely had fun, but an hour at this Dive Bar isn&#8217;t something I&#8217;d recommend to everyone.</p>

The biggest joke of the comedy festival so far has been my ability to arrive on time for the start of a show, the second biggest being the speed at which ticket machines at the venues print. Sneaking into my seat a few minutes late (Farrago should really stop giving me tickets to things), my first taste of Yeti’s Demon Dive Bar was an innuendo laden musical number about having sex with Jesus.

Yeti’s is a two person musical sketch comedy show that while being very entertaining, isn’t hugely funny. The characters are great: including a pair of psychedelic nuns, a horny decapitated head and of course the titular Yeti, as are many moments in the show, however the sketches and songs often seemed to drag without any really grippingly funny payoff. Don’t get me wrong, I definitely had fun, but an hour at this Dive Bar isn’t something I’d recommend to everyone. Musical comedy is enjoyable in a different way to stand up and it would be unfair to compare the two forms on some laugh-per-minute metric. Yeti’s Demon Dive Bar is an entertaining and well put together show, but if you’re only going to see one show at this comedy festival, I’d see something else.

Yeti’s Demon Dive Bar is running until 17 April at Roxanne Parlour as part of the Melbourne International Comedy Festival.