Bands & Bevs: Kingswood

<p>Purveyors of Australian rock Kingswood are the latest act set to dazzle students as part of the University of Melbourne Student Union&#8217;s band and bevs series. Fresh off the back of an extensive tour in support of their sophomore album After Hours, Close to Dawn, Kingswood will be gracing the stage at North Court outside [&hellip;]</p>

Purveyors of Australian rock Kingswood are the latest act set to dazzle students as part of the University of Melbourne Student Union’s band and bevs series. Fresh off the back of an extensive tour in support of their sophomore album After Hours, Close to Dawn, Kingswood will be gracing the stage at North Court outside Union House this Tuesday at 1pm.

Kingswood consists of Melbourne locals Fergus Linacre, Alex Laska and Justin Debrincat. The band produces a constantly evolving brand of Aussie blues rock favourites attracting descriptions ranging from ‘fuzzy’ to ‘space age’.

After forming in 2009, Kingswood truly hit their stride in 2014 when their debut album Microscopic Wars hit number six on the ARIA Albums Chart and scored a nomination for Best Rock Album at the ARIAs that year. Fergus, Alex and Justin are rarely away from the stage, having played with the likes of The Living End, Grinspoon and fellow Band and Bevs alum The Vanns.

Lately, Kingswood’s success has only continued to grow. Rolling Stone even named After Hours, Close to Dawn as one of their 50 most anticipated albums of 2017.

Kingswood are known for their thoroughly rock ‘n’ roll sensibility, but this Tuesday’s gig also reflects another part of their identity. Kingswood are a band keen to give back to their fans, a pattern that this Tuesday’s show continues. Just last week they played a massive free show with Ali Barter and Totally Mild at Northcote Social Club. The release of After Hours, Close to Dawn was also accompanied by a string of free in store performances and signings for hardcore supporters.

If there’s anything Kingswood have taught us so far, it’s to expect the unexpected. From their dramatic change in sound between their first and second albums to their slick Destiny’s Child cover for Triple J’s Like a Version, the only way to know what will go down at North Court this Tuesday is to join the crowd.