Campus News Briefing: Burnley, KPIs and a Buried Bill

<p>Click here to stay up to date with campus news and receive Farrago&#8217;s news briefings delivered to your inbox every fortnight.</p>

Click here to stay up to date with campus news and receive Farrago‘s news briefings delivered to your inbox every fortnight.

Sustainable Investment Framework reveals fossil fuel divestment not on University agenda
The University of Melbourne released its Sustainable Investment Framework (SIF) on 28 March, outlining the University’s approach to sustainability in its investment portfolios and processes. The SIF established that the University will not be be adopting a ‘strict exclusion approach’ from investing in the fossil fuel industry, citing concerns around ‘financial strength’.

Burnley students critical of proposed library cuts
The University library is planning on cutting working hours for Burnley library staff, drawing backlash from the Burnley Student Association. Following negotiations, the University and Burnley library staff have compromised by providing increased student access hours.

The buried bill
The government tried to pass the Higher Education Support Legislation Amendment (Student Loan Sustainability) Bill 2018 on the last sitting week of parliament. In response, the National Union of Students and the Council of Australian Postgraduate Associations launched the ‘Bury the Bill’ campaign, which called on senators to vote the bill down. The bill, which proposed cuts to the tertiary education sector, failed to pass in time, so now the cuts will likely be put in the federal budget to be released on 8 May.

Mixed feelings over respect and diversity week merger
The University of Melbourne’s decision to combine Respect Week and Diversity Week this year has garnered mixed reactions from students. In 2018, the once separate Diversity and Respect weeks ran in conjunction, from 19-23 March.

Students rally for refugee rights
On 25 March, thousands of people attended a Palm Sunday rally at the State Library to demonstrate support for refugees and to call on the federal government to close down detention centres.

KPI confusion
The ANU Student Association drafted a letter to the National Union of Students (NUS) stating that they would not reaccredit to the national union if it fails to meet a set of key performance indicators (KPIs). The letter was signed by seven other student unions, including the University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU). However, UMSU President Desiree Cai had not even seen the letter, let alone signed it.

Carlton Connect
The University will demolish the old Royal Women’s Hospital, which it purchased in 2012, to create room for “Australia’s leading innovation precinct”, Carlton Connect.

Bye, Rowdy table
Say goodbye to the ‘do not study’ table in the Rowden White Library, which is going back to the University after helping students relax for 50 years.

Collated by Ashleigh Barraclough