Campus News Briefing: Cadmus, Tastings, Safety

<p>Click here to stay up to date with campus news and receive Farrago&#8217;s news briefings delivered to your inbox every fortnight.</p>

Click here to stay up to date with campus news and receive Farrago‘s news briefings delivered to your inbox every fortnight.

Cadmus
UniMelb Vice-Chancellor Glyn Davis and his wife Margaret Gardner have $166,000 invested in Vericus, the company which owns Cadmus—the controversial anti-cheating software the University has been trialling. The University claims that Davis declared the conflict of interest and “rigorously excluded himself from any discussion of Cadmus matters”.

Candidates for UMSU Elections Announced
The presidential candidates from major factions, More! and Stand Up!, are Callum Simpson and Molly Willmott, respectively. Simpson is the current environment office bearer (OB), while Willmott is the women’s OB. The other presidential candidates are Christopher Kounelis from Choice, Xavier Boffa from the Liberals, as well as Zhiyu Zhao and Natasha Prasad—who are both independent candidates.

Tastings
Tastings, the biennial showcase of original works by University of Melbourne students, will be held 22–25 August in the Guild Theatre. With over a decade of history, Tastings is developed and run by the University of Melbourne Student Union’s (UMSU) creative arts department. This year, the showcase comprises 12 original short works including dance works, short film, devised theatre and scripts for performance.

New VCA Campus Coordinator
Since early July, Lily Ekins has worked as the new University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) VCA campus coordinator. Farrago talked to her about her plans for the new semester, as well as updates on the Southbank campus after the restructure of the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music.

University Square Being Redeveloped
University Square, the prominent garden and thoroughfare, located between Grattan Street and the Law School, is currently in the process of being redeveloped in an association between the University, the City of Melbourne, and the Victorian Government.

University of Melbourne Students Go To The Games
The University of Melbourne is well known for its academic credentials, but fewer people are aware of the athletic prowess it boasts. Earlier this year, University of Melbourne students and alumni won one gold, two silver and one bronze at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.

The Students Have Their Say: Results of the Safety on Campus Survey
In the wake of recent local attacks on women, Farrago has spoken to a number of students about how safe they feel on campus. Read our feature article here.

The End of History?
The Institute of Public Affairs (IPA) has released a report bemoaning the rise of identity politics in history departments across Australian universities. History, they contend, should be focused on the study of significant historical events and periods that have shaped Western civilisation, rather than limiting history to the reductive analysis of class, race and gender. Read Corey McCabe take a stab at the IPA.

Collated by Ashleigh Barraclough