SSAF Grants: Explained

<p>Did you know that you could receive up to $250,000 for a project that would benefit students at the University of Melbourne?</p>

Did you know that you could receive up to $250,000 for a project that would benefit students at the University of Melbourne? The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) grant program at the University provides students and staff with the opportunity to run initiatives that centre around students and their work to fulfil the diverse needs of our student population.

How it Works
In 2012, the University introduced the annual Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) to support the provision of nonacademic student services and amenities. This includes projects across a range of areas, including, but not limited to: “student clubs and societies; student services; transitioning new students; supporting diverse student cohorts; and student engagement”.

The eligibility and guidelines are quite specific, so a quick look at the University’s website is a good place to start.

The program supports projects that address one or more of the areas detailed in the SSAF legislation. Specifically, SSAF funding may be spent on providing food or drink to students on campus, supporting sporting and other recreational activities for students, or to support the administration of a student club. The SSAF grant may also be used to provide students with child care, legal services or to assist students
in securing accommodation and insurance. The grant can be provided to help students with financial affairs or to obtain employment and career advice. This is not the exhaustive list however, with plenty more ideas listed on the website.

How Can I Apply?
The program is currently open for applications, closing Monday, 10 September 2018. You can apply through the University website listed below or through these links:

For grants of $10k or under, apply here.

For grants over $10k, apply here.

Selection Criteria
There are several criteria the selection committee considers when making their decision. This includes the project’s benefit to students, the degree of reach, the extent to which it addresses a service gap and the outcomes and success indicators of the project. In order to be selected, the project must involve collaboration across the University and have some alignment with the key principles of the SSAF, University strategy and student experience goals. The project must also involve a commitment to consult student-related groups and engage students in decision-making. Successful projects may also involve commitments to address equity and diversity goals and representation of student groups, cohorts and campuses.

Previous Recipients
2017’s round three grant recipients included 41 students and staff who received funds between $555–$249,042, equating to a grand total of over $1.2 million!

Student Hina Fukuda was given $5000 to fund her project entitled Personal and Professional Development Assist for Music Therapy students. According to Fukuda, “the project aimed to better support the students enrolled in the course of Master of Music Therapy in their personal and professional development. It was aimed to increase social networking opportunities for all students enrolled and organise professional development days financially supported by the university.”

Fukuda is very grateful that she got to be involved in the Grant Program. “When we received the grant, it felt amazing that the University was acknowledging the need for all students no matter the size of the faculty. The grant enabled us to organise both social and professional development events that welcomed all music therapy students without them having to consider the cost of attendance resulting in a more positive learning environment for all students enrolled,” she said.

If you are interested in applying, Fukuda has some great advice. “Just like any grant writing, the key thing to remember when applying is to make sure that your goals and objectives are aligned to the funding body’s key principles. Really consider what your students need and how the fund could best address them.”

Get your SSAF Grant Program applications in by 10 September to create something great for students and staff at the University!

Further Information
For more material, check out the University’s website where you can download the official 2018 SSAF grants guidelines.

For application assistance, please contact:
Fleur Hickman, Chancellery (Academic and International)
fhickman@unimelb.edu.au
(03) 9035 4734