Review: Felicity Ward: Busting a Nut

<p>I don&#8217;t really know where the title for Felicity Ward&#8217;s latest show comes from. Honestly I&#8217;m not sure if I missed something, but I&#8217;m pretty sure it&#8217;s just something she thought would be funny. That&#8217;s not to say it doesn&#8217;t make sense; it does. Felicity&#8217;s comedy is bold enough, loud enough, and has enough singing and crying that I wouldn&#8217;t be surprised if some audience members didn&#8217;t bust their own nuts laughing along the way.</p>

I don’t really know where the title for Felicity Ward’s latest show comes from. Honestly I’m not sure if I missed something, but I’m pretty sure it’s just something she thought would be funny. That’s not to say it doesn’t make sense; it does. Felicity’s comedy is bold enough, loud enough, and has enough singing and crying that I wouldn’t be surprised if some audience members didn’t bust their own nuts laughing along the way.

The idea of someone in the crowd spontaneously orgasming from laughter would probably be equally hilarious for Felicity. Her habit of calling out the audience for the varying enthusiasm of our responses (and every time there was an unaccompanied clap) became a running gag within 10 minutes, and only became more prevalent from there.

Felicity’s comedy is exactly what you’d expect: high energy and crowd pleasing. She’s not here to dissect the zeitgeist or bring down The Man, she’s all about having a good time and bringing us all along for the ride.

But as much as that energy builds and endures, it doesn’t always translate to peak comedy. Some of the more boisterous singing and fart jokes were mildly amusing, but it wasn’t really enough to match the rest of the show. The unfortunate consequence of crowd-pleaser comedy is that sometimes that crowd just isn’t enough to carry an overly-generic joke.

But, true to form, Felicity was always quick to pick up her game whenever a punchline didn’t hit the mark. We never doubted her ability to deliver and she never wavered in her efforts. Her rural Aussie voice carried us through the hour-long set without pause, so dwelling on what had come before was never really an option as the laughs kept coming.

Busting a Nut is Felicity’s first Aussie show in 3 years and addresses a lot of what’s happened in the meantime. Dinosaur weddings, Greek family dynamics, and long-nose champagne problems are all on the table as she runs us through the life of an Aussie comic living in London.

This isn’t shocking or controversial stuff. The edgiest it gets is a passing remark about spousal racism and some occasional swearing. If you grew up watching Felicity on Spicks & Specks like I did, you’ll know what to expect, and it’s a good time for fans of Aussie comedy.

Go in: a bit rowdy

For fans of: Aussie TV comedy, high energy & fun