Edition One Editorial

<p>What stays the same, though—in all student media—is the sense that what you’re reading doesn’t matter at all but is possibly the most important thing in the world.</p>

ASHLEIGH BARRACLOUGH
The first time I laid eyes on a copy of Farrago was during the o-week of 2016. I was new to Melbourne and the University and ready to try new things, but I was convinced Farrago was out of my depth. I read every edition that year, then placed it back on the stands once I was done because I was afraid someone would miss out.

I didn’t expect this magazine to take me on board and swallow me whole, but now here I am, reaching out my hand to you. The cumulative efforts of hundreds of students are why Farrago’s so damn great, so take a leap and help us fill its pages with your writing and art. Be critical, be daring and take chances. In return, we promise we’ll have your back every step of the way.

ESTHER LE COUTEUR
The other Friday we went down to the Carlton Baths after work. The rain meant nobody else was there except this guy running high-knee laps in the shallows, so we turned the waterworks on and splashed in the kiddie pool. We then spent a while trying to teach each other to float. Floating’s weird: either you learn as a baby, or else you’re stuck there in your twenties trying to push your belly above the surface and look at your toes. Making this mag feels a bit more like floating than I thought it would. I mean, we all keep sinking under, missing deadlines and crying too much while watching Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging, but when it all comes together you get to lie there in a weird circle with your head on someone’s belly and the rain on your cheeks. Until your nose fills with chlorine again. I’m Esther and I’m so lucky to edit the last section of the magazine. Please be gentle with this baby of ours, and send us your words!

JESSE PARIS-JOURDAN
Even just in the four years since I started reading Farrago, the media office has changed a lot. Our online presence has gone from an afterthought to one of the main ways people engage. Like us on Facebook! A full-time student-run radio station has popped up (check out the Radio Fodder schedule on the inside back cover of this magazine). And, maybe most obviously, Farrago is more beautiful than it’s ever been in its 93-year history—thank you to our huge team of skilled graphics artists.

What stays the same, though—in all student media—is the sense that what you’re reading doesn’t matter at all but is possibly the most important thing in the world. I may not have this much responsibility again until much later in my career—if ever. I feel incredibly unqualified. Fuckups will be made; we will learn a lot. I’m still itchy from the grass rash I got while posing for the photo above. I hope you stay with us.

MONIQUE O’RAFFERTY
Up until July 2017, the best moment of my life was when Justin Bieber followed me on Twitter. I tweeted him multiple times every day for three years until one day, when I pretended to be sick to stay home from school and listen to his new album, he followed me back. I then proceeded to lie in a ball on the floor for hours sobbing. Farrago’s a bit like that for me. Getting overly invested in the Farrago fandom and forcing friendship on everyone I met for a few years led me to this moment. Being able to deliver our precious newborn into the world. I am so lucky that I get to make an arty mag with Ash, Esther and Jesse. I’m even luckier that you’re reading this right now and I hope that you enjoy taking this creative journey with us.