Campus News Briefing: Fossil Free, Removalists and The GSA

<p>Click here to stay up to date with campus news and receive Farrago&#8217;s news briefings delivered to your inbox every fortnight.</p>

Click here to stay up to date with campus news and receive Farrago‘s news briefings delivered to your inbox every fortnight.

GSA SGM Fails
The proposed governance changes to the Graduate Student Association’s (GSA) structure have failed after being put to a vote at an SGM on 22 March. The motion received 67 votes for and 56 against, but needed a 75 per cent majority to pass.

You can read our coverage here.

Students Protest $2.2 Billion Cuts to Higher Education
A contingent of over 30 University of Melbourne students joined forces with fellow Victorian students at the State Library of Victoria to protest the Coalition government’s $2.2 billion cuts to higher education on Wednesday, 21 March.

Fossil Free Hangs Out the University’s Dirty Laundry
On 22 March, students from Fossil Free Melbourne University (FFMU) hung up their dirty laundry outside the Raymond Priestley building to put pressure on the University to divest from fossil fuels. The University is set to release its Sustainable Investment Framework on 28 March—a document which will determine whether the University will continue to invest in fossil fuels or not.

Batman is Reddy for Geddy
Labor’s Ged Kearney has won an incredibly close by-election in Melbourne’s electorate of Batman, beating out perennial Greens candidate, Alex Bhathal, in a seat that many predicted Labor would lose.

You can view our coverage here.

Unannounced Removalists Clear Graduate Desks Amidst Office Changes
On 3 January, the School of Historical and Philosophical Studies (SHAPS) management sent a group of removalists to clear out Research History Desks (RHD) in light of desk reallocations to help facilitate staffing changes for the new academic year.

Should the University Offer Online Undergraduate Degrees?
The University of Melbourne now offers a range of specialist online graduate courses, raising the question of whether the same should be done for undergraduate courses.

Faculty of VCA and MCM to Undergo Name Change and Renovations
The University of Melbourne’s Victorian College of the Arts (VCA) and Melbourne Conservatorium of Music (MCM) have been renamed to become the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music, leading to the relocation of MCM to Southbank.

“Affordable” Accommodation
The University of Melbourne’s newest accommodation plan for Royal Parade and Bouverie Street promises a lineup of some of the highest quality features and facilities, but at what cost will this come to students?

Revolutionary or Redundant? Farrago Then and Now
The University of Melbourne’s student newspaper has outlasted many mainstream and student-run publications that were born in the same era, and have subsequently crumbled under the digital revolution. Farrago remains one of the loudest voices in student media today.

Read our feature article here.

Grainger Things
Sitting between the Biosciences Building and Royal Parade is the Grainger Museum. A small, semi–circular, red brick building, which seems pretty unassuming from the outside. As you enter, you’re greeted by an oversized bronze sculpture of Percy Grainger’s face. It’s a weird sculpture, kind of abstract with a slightly pained expression.

Read our feature on the Grainger Museum here.

Collated by Ashleigh Barraclough