Campus News Briefing: NUS, Doctor’s Certificates And The Melbourne Model

<p>Click here to stay up to date with campus news and receive Farrago&#8217;s news briefings delivered to your inbox every fortnight.</p>

Click here to stay up to date with campus news and receive Farrago‘s news briefings delivered to your inbox every fortnight.

UniMelb Below Average in Student Experience, Survey Finds
The University of Melbourne has ranked below average in a student experience survey of Australian universities, published by Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching. The results could potentially affect the level of funding the University receives in the future.

GSA Elections
The results of the Graduate Student Association (GSA) elections have been provisionally declared, with the councillors being Xiangqi Zheng, Geng Huang, Tangshuang Qin, Zimo Wang, Siyu Liu, Lubna Meempatta, Sepideh Jahangiri, Georgia Daly and Brad Knight. However, the results are going to a tribunal, after complaints from candidate Shiyu Zhou about the conduct of some members of the Renew ticket, as well as the returning officer and several GSA staff members.

Melbourne Model 2.0
The University is considering a range of major changes, as part of the second phase of the Melbourne Model. Referred to as the Melbourne Model Evolution, this mature successive phase aims to rectify issues in the first decade of the process, with initial draft documentation outlining six new distinct improvements—such as double degrees and fast-tracked degrees. While one of the initial proposals was to introduce a Bachelor of Health, this has since been rejected by the academic board.

UMSU Issues Recommendations for UniMelb Respect Taskforce
The University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) women’s department has issued 12 recommendations addressing the prevention of sexual assault and sexual harassment on campus. These recommendations were presented to the University’s Respect Taskforce on 21 March.

Fake Doctors’ Certificates
Several students have recently been expelled due to the provision of fake doctors’ certificates, according to the UMSU advocacy and legal department.

Heritage-Listed Campbell Arcade Under Threat of Demolition
Campbell Arcade, a haven for creatives nestled in the Arts district underneath Melbourne’s Degraves Lane, is under threat of partial demolition as a result of current plans released by the Melbourne Metro Rail Authority and Cross Yarra Partnership to accommodate for the multi-billion dollar Metro Tunnel project due in 2025.

NUS Build a Better Budget Campaign Launch Liveblog
The National Union of Students (NUS) held it’s ‘Build a Better Budget’ campaign launch on 15 May at the University of Melbourne, and invited Member for Batman Ged Kearney, National Tertiary Education Union UniMelb Branch President Steve Adams and UMSU President Desiree Cai to speak.

Commitment Isn’t Convenient
“The University applauds itself whenever it releases a new ‘sustainable’ document and calls itself a pioneering world leader, but refuses to commit to change where it really matters.” Read Lauren Sandeman’s opinion piece on the University’s Sustainable Investment Framework here.

Collated by Ashleigh Barraclough