Tyson Holloway-Clarke Appointed UMSU President

<p>Following the UMSU Students’ Council meeting this morning, Tyson Holloway-Clarke has been elected as the temporary president of the University of Melbourne Student Union. His appointment was unanimous and cross-factional, and follows the resignation of James Baker on 23 March this year. UMSU received legal advice recommending a by-election in Semester One. However, calling a by-election [&hellip;]</p>

Following the UMSU Students’ Council meeting this morning, Tyson Holloway-Clarke has been elected as the temporary president of the University of Melbourne Student Union. His appointment was unanimous and cross-factional, and follows the resignation of James Baker on 23 March this year.

UMSU received legal advice recommending a by-election in Semester One. However, calling a by-election will warrant insufficient notice due the legal advice being received late, meaning Holloway-Clarke will most likely be in office until the general elections in September of this year.

In his self-submitted nomination, he revealed his nomination had been “supported and championed” by his peers in the Indigenous collective.

Holloway-Clarke stated that his election would lead to a “stronger union” stressing the importance of unity during this time of political uncertainty, underpinned by issues such as the reshaping of academic programming and the indefinite future of Union House.

“Our potential to serve the students of this University has been stymied but it is my firm belief that we can work together to reignite our drive and lead students,” he said.

Holloway-Clarke said that he would be leaving his role as Indigenous Officer should his nomination be successful. He is also certain he would also be leaving his role as Indigenous Officer in capable hands of a team that “capable of achieving excellence.”

Holloway-Clarke thanked Acting President James Bashford for taking on both roles during the casual vacancy. As he steps into his new role, Co-Indigenous Officer Emily James will be the sole Indigenous office bearer.