Mind The Gap

<p>Students travelling to and from the University of Melbourne may face transport and infrastructure disruptions this year as work starts on the new Parkville train station.</p>

Students travelling to and from the University of Melbourne may face transport and infrastructure disruptions this year as work starts on the new Parkville train station.

Parkville Station will be one of five new underground stations forming the Metro Tunnel. The new tunnels will link the Cranbourne/Pakenham and Sunbury lines, and connect to the City Loop via direct interchanges with Flinders Street and Melbourne Central stations.

After consultation with the University and Parkville stakeholders, and the creation of an extensive environment plan, preparatory work will begin on the station site, located under Grattan Street, between Royal Parade and Leicester Street. There will be lane closures around the Parkville campus on streets such as Royal Parade, Flemington Road and Leicester Street, limiting parking around the construction sites.

“From late 2017, the construction of the new underground Parkville station will require Grattan Street to be closed to traffic between Royal Parade and Leicester Street for up to five years,” a Melbourne Metro Rail Authority  (MMRA) spokesperson told Farrago.

Along with drivers, pedestrians and cyclists may also be affected. 

“Pedestrian and cycling access will be maintained while the new Parkville station is built, however detours may be in place at times,” said the spokesperson.

“A crossing point will be provided across Grattan Street while Parkville Station is built to ensure students can still move around safely.”

Buses to the University, including the 401, 402, 403, 505 and 546, will be rerouted around the work sites. The construction of a new tram stop on Royal Parade to ease pressure on Melbourne’s busy tram services, will cause short-term disruptions to the Route 19 trams.

While access to the campus may be disrupted, the MMRA says the station will benefit the city in the long term.

“Metro Tunnel’s Parkville Station is expected to provide access to around 45,000 jobs. It will be used by nearly 60,000 passengers each day in 2031,” one spokesperson said.

The University of Melbourne does not anticipate major disruptions to students and staff, and is looking to maximise the learning opportunities for students.

“At this stage, the University does not predict major disruption to traffic flow. The University is also currently exploring a range of initiatives that will enable students to capitalise on the learning opportunities presented by the Metro Tunnel project,” the spokesperson said.