Racist Posters Target Chinese Students

<p>Numerous racist posters were found around the University this morning threatening Chinese students with deportation if they enter campus buildings.</p>

Numerous racist posters were found around the University this morning threatening Chinese students with deportation if they entered campus buildings.

Written in poorly worded Mandarin, the poster reads, “Attention, entry into the campus of Chinese students should be strictly prohibited. If violated, you can be deported from the country.”

The posters have been attributed to a prominent neo-Nazi, white-supremacist group.

Several posters were found outside the Doug McDonell building, where many new students were lining up to collect their student cards. Other posters were found near the MSD, ERC and the Old Geology Building. Over ten posters have been found so far.

The posters include the University of Melbourne logo, the National Union of Students logo and the Chinese Students and Scholars Association (CSSA) logo. None of these parties were involved with the creation or distribution of these posters.

“We would like to make it clear that posters distributed around the school containing these racist and malicious contents do not in any way represent the position of the CSSA and we strongly condemn the behaviour of the one who has performed this act,” read CSSA’s official statement.

“This very serious issue has now been reported to the University and we, as a society reserve the right to take legal action against the individuals who have created such rumours and racial discrimination.”

The University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) People of Colour Office Bearers, Ella Shi and Hanann Al Daqqa, have also condemned the posters.

“UMSU does not stand for any kind of racism,” they told Farrago.

“This is a call to action for everyone to welcome incoming students and to reach out and support their classmates. It’s everyone’s responsibility to make each other feel comfortable and safe on our campus.”

The 2016-17 President of UMSU International, Sander Bredal, stated, “As a community we are disappointed and saddened that students might feel distressed and unwelcomed by this, and it is only a reaffirmation that we must continue to make all students, regardless of background, feel welcomed. UMSU International will raise concerns regarding this with the University.”

Similar posters were also found at Monash University this morning and were circulated on Facebook group Monash StalkerSpace.

Edited on 25/7/17 to include a statement from UMSU International.