New Vice-Chancellor Announced

<p>Duncan Maskell has taken out the top job after a long search for the University of Melbourne&#8217;s new vice-chancellor</p>

Professor Duncan Maskell will replace Professor Glyn Davis as the new vice-chancellor in October 2018, the University of Melbourne has announced.

Professor Maskell is currently working as Senior Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Planning and Resources) at Cambridge University.

University of Melbourne Chancellor Allan Myers AC QC announced Professor Maskell’s appointment this morning after what he says was an “extensive global search”.

“Professor Maskell is an outstanding University leader and academic, operating at a very senior level at one of the world’s top universities,” Mr Myers said.

“He has overall responsibility for a turnover of approximately £2 billion per annum and is also responsible for Cambridge’s major building program. Recently he has worked at the heart of one of Europe’s largest academic development programs, spearheading an array of productivity initiatives.”

Professor Maskell is a Marks and Spencer Professor of Farm Animal Health, Food Science and Food Safety and was the Head of the School of the Biological Sciences at Cambridge until mid-2015. He has authored over 230 papers on bacterial and infectious diseases and has conducted groundbreaking work on bacterial food poisoning.

Professor Maskell said he was “honoured” to be chosen to lead the University.

“The University of Melbourne has been a centre of excellence for a long time, and its reputation and strength is recognised on the global stage,” he said.

“I look forward to building on the excellent work of Professor Glyn Davis.”

Professor Davis has served as vice-chancellor for 13 years. He was at the helm during the overhaul to the University’s business systems and the creation of the Melbourne Model.

With: Mary Ntalianis