Bands & Bevs: Psychadelic Porn Crumpets

<p>Mind bending Perth outfit, Psychedelic Porn Crumpets, are descending upon North Court this Tuesday at 1. Since the release of the reality altering ‘High Visceral’ parts one and two (as well as some B-Sides) the band has played support slots for the likes of King Gizzard, The Murlocs along with selling out shows nationwide. The [&hellip;]</p>

Mind bending Perth outfit, Psychedelic Porn Crumpets, are descending upon North Court this Tuesday at 1. Since the release of the reality altering ‘High Visceral’ parts one and two (as well as some B-Sides) the band has played support slots for the likes of King Gizzard, The Murlocs along with selling out shows nationwide.

The Porn Crumpets twist the stock-standard psych rock situation with the addition of complex guitar riffs, string sections and saxophone on their records. The band doesn’t stray too far from their roots though and maintain a classic, Australian psychedelic sound.

It’s really difficult to describe the diverse releases that the crumpets represent. I’d recommend listening to the track Gurzle to get a taste.

You dip your toe into the water and you’re met with heavy guitar, before being met with the addition of powerful, rhythmic drum and bass. At first chaotic, dissonant, and crazy, the timeless riffs are introduced.The dreamy vocals then steal you away, layered in delay and reverb.

Just as you think you’re back to reality, more insane riffs hit, the driving, pounding drum-line marching you along. Saccharine sweet vocals give way to the introduction of… strings? Where did the string section come from? A soft telecaster like guitar, choir like vocals, and saxophone allow for a moment of calm before the storm. Then you are tossed once more into a King Crimson-like finale of brass, squealing guitar and rolling drums, cymbals, stops and starts and the droning ‘I need colour!’ as the song wraps up.

Come on down on Tuesday, grab a snag and a bev, and get ready to zone out with an hour of live music.