Sonja and Quentin’s Wank Weekend

<p>What could a monogamous heterosexual couple of five and a half years stand to learn from the Midsumma Pussy Play and Wank Bank workshops? A lot, as it turns out.</p>

The Pussy Play and Wank Bank Masterclass double feature was a fun and educational event in this year’s Midsumma Festival. The brainchild of the Rural Ranga (Adam Seymour) – who created an art book based on his work as a ‘happy endings’ masseur in New York City – and reigning Miss Burlesque World, Strawberry Siren. , the workshops are billed as “a playful show of storytelling and interactive genital techniques.”

So, what could a monogamous heterosexual couple of five and a half years stand to learn from these workshops? A lot, as it turns out.

On Friday, with Clitorina the glittery clitoris in tow, Strawberry Siren carefully led us through the anatomy of the vulva as we shaped our own out of playdough. Following the crowning of best vulva (Quentin was robbed, we tell you, robbed!), came a series of exercises climaxing in a cloud of glitter and silly string. What was really great about this workshop was how much time was devoted to the fundamentals, to learning the terms for anatomy of the vulva as well as comfort and health tips as requisites to achieving pleasure.

On Saturday, we entered a world of vegetables as Rural Ranga took us through (carrot and cucumber) dick handling techniques accompanied by a banging soundtrack. He even brought some of us up onto his table for hands-on demonstrations (Sonja enjoyed the scalp massage). Rural Ranga knows how to work his audience, challenging the awkwardness with humour and directness – nothing brings a room of strangers together like reaching over to grab your neighbour’s vegetable in a 40-person circle jerk.

Both workshops masterfully use humour to break through the awkward tension and taboo around sex, particularly masturbation, creating a relaxed and fun environment in which to learn things never covered in high school health classes. At Pussy Play in particular we noticed that the room was full of a diverse range of people. Some came alone, others as couples or bigger groups. This speaks to the inclusive and welcoming environment that is fostered in these sessions which seek to normalize the human body and sex.

The workshops will run at Fringe World Perth in February and Adelaide Fringe Festival in March. More information about the shows can be found at http://ruralranga.com/