State Electorate Profile: Brunswick

Abbey Saxon gives you the political rundown on Melbourne's most (in)famous inner-northern suburb.

Why the Left Sucks: An Inquiry into Campus’s Most Hated Political Group

It is no exaggeration to say that The University of Melbourne is one of the largest breeding grounds for leftist thought in the country. For those of us who have been on campus–walked past the columns

A Very Condensed Impression of the Registered Parties: Part 3

Side note: I’d like everybody to know that we have a James Bond running for the Senate in Victoria.

Note that not all parties we’re looking at will appear on your ballots—many are state specific, or don’t have running candidates for certain states and electorates. The senate ballot for Victoria, for example, has 26 parties listed along with 12 ungrouped independents. Side note: I’d like everybody to know that we have a James Bond running for the Senate in Victoria.

Back to the parties!

David Pocock: One independent senate candidate for the ACT, despite being registered as an entire party. Voters not from the ACT won’t see them on their ballot. David Pocock is a former rugby player, and his party policies are quite broad; key issues seem to be defence, integrity, equality, and a big focus on climate. He also supports voluntary assisted dying.

Derryn Hinch's Justice Party: Named after New-Zealand born media personality and party leader Derryn Hinch. The big issue for this party is reforms to the justice system in Australia, namely,strengthening parole laws and introducing harsher sentences for serious crimes. Apparently, they also tended to vote alongside the Andrew’s government about half the time in the Victorian parliament if that means anything to y’all. They have seven candidates, all for individual electorates.

Drew Pavlou Democratic Alliance: The registered name of this party is as above, but they seem to just call themselves “Democratic Alliance”. They’re looking to improve the renewable energy market, homelessness, and are another party against corruption. Probably their biggest (and most contentious) policy point though, is opposing the totalitarian regime of China under the CCP —most of the news around this party surrounds that. They have five candidates: three for the Senate and two for Chisholm and Sturt.

FUSION: Science, Pirate, Secular, Climate Emergency: Formerly the Pirate Party. IMHO, renaming themselves is one of the biggest tragedies of the election yet. In saying that, it was for a reason—they are now a merger of several minor parties covering various issues such as addressing the climate emergency and renewable energy, ensuring secular government, and promoting fair foreign policy. Read more about their policies here. They have 19 candidates all up—ten for the Senate and 9 for the House of Reps.

Federal ICAC Now: Also known as FIN. A very straightforward name which THANK GOODNESS is reflective of their policy. Totally. They quite literally just want an independent commission against corruption. Like, now? Understandably, they also support other parties against political corruption too. They’ve only got three senate candidates, one each for NSW, Queensland and WA.

Indigenous - Aboriginal Party of Australia: Another straightforward one—this party is led by Owen Whyman, a Barkandji man from Wilcannia. Their focus is on improving outcomes for Indigenous Australians in all areas, and also to stop projects that develop/destroy native land. They have two Senate candidates for NSW, two for Queensland and three House of Reps candidates.

Informed Medical Options Party: You might be able to guess what this party is about—they are advocating for the right to refuse medical options, such as the COVID-19 vaccine, “without coercion, discrimination, bullying or punishment”. This includes, of course, parent’s right to refuse the vaccination of their children. They also want to remove fluoride in water? They do have positions on other areas of policy too; you can check out their full policy list here.

Kim for Canberra: Another independent Senate candidate (and party??? I’m confused) that you’ll only see if you’re voting for the ACT. Law professor Kim Rubenstein is the running candidate, big on climate action, political integrity, improving women’s safety, and advocating for the interests of Canberra. You can check out her policies on other areas here.

Legalise Cannabis Australia: Can anyone in the audience guess what they advocate for? Yes, you, they want to legalise weed? Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. The butt of many “ha-ha I’m gonna vote for the WEED party” jokes from youths who definitely understand the importance of the democratic right to vote. They’ve got something to say about how everything can be improved by access to cannabis; you can read more about this here.

Only nine more to go! Hope everybody’s geared up for the big day.

Farrago's magazine cover - Edition Five 2022

EDITION SIX 'RETROFUTURISM' AVAILABLE NOW!

Our last print edition of 2022 is here! This wild, visionary edition is filled with burning nostalgia, glittering hope, and tantalising visions of the future, past, and present.