Radio Fodder's Declassified Gig Survival Guide: October Edition

Foddernonfiction

Originally Published in Farrago Edition Five (2022)

July and August came and went with a plethora of live music events ranging from large scale international headliners to humbler, local showings. There's no better way to usher in the spring with a new guide of gig recommendations by Radio Fodder!

Our curated selection of live music options includes a number of genres--there's bona fide indie pop royalty (and TikTok star) mxmtoon and Tame Impala, nostalgic childhood-defining emo-pop outfit Boys Like Girls to early 2010s pop breakouts like Passenger and George Ezra. Indie favourites Maddy Lane and Mild Orange will also be making stops in Melbourne this month as part of their respective headlining tours of the country.

Take a look at some of the most anticipated shows of October, and make sure to leave some free time to support several local gigs we have included here hosted at smaller grassroots venues!

Maddy Jane
When: 1 October
Where: Northcote Social Club
Prices: $
Maddy Jane will be making a stop in Melbourne as part of her 'Bloody Finally' tour of Australia, marking her first national tour dates in two years. Her nationwide trek is in support of her recently released EP Island Time, but will be bringing old fan favourites to the stage. "We'll be touring everything from the last couple of years," lane explained in a press statement. "I come alive [when I perform] live, and I cannot wait to be back out there."

mxmtoon
When: 4 October
Where: Melbourne Recital Centre
Prices: $$$
When mxmtoon, also known as Maia announced her first-ever run of live shows on Australian and New Zealand soil earlier this year in March, fans were ecstatic. Her first stop in the Southern Hemisphere will be Melbourne, and will feature live performances of songs off her most recent record, Rising.

Boys Like Girls
When: 4-5 October
Where: 170 Russell
Prices: $$
Boston-based emo-pop turned country-pop band Boys Like Girls, who soundtracked a lot of our childhoods growing up with early 2000s hits like 'The Great Escape' and 'Thunder', are on tour in Australia for the first time in over a decade. Fans can expect nostalgic performances of cult classic favourites from their eponymous debut album, alongside other hits from their illustrious discography.

Wombat
When: 7 October
Where: 170 Russell
Prices: $
Rising Australian grime emcee Wombat will be visiting Melbourne as part of his first run of headline shows in three years. After a slew of setbacks due to the pandemic-cancelled tour plans, postponed releases and lockdowns-the Tasmanian musician will be performing several hits from his catalogue, including 'Adrenaline' (featuring Devlin), 'Kebabs', 'Blue Lights' and more.

Mild Orange
When: 14 October
Where: Howler
Prices: $$
New Zealand-born indie pop groovers Mild Orange are touring Australia for the first time as headlining acts this November, after dropping their third studio album Looking For Space, earlier this year. "We're so stoked to finally be touring Australia--we've been trying to get there for years now. We've had such epic support from our Aussie mates all along the way, and we're well aware that they know how to boogie," the band, who describe their style as "melting melodies" said in a statement. "Can't wait to show you how us Kiwis groove."

Passenger
When: 15 October
Where: The Forum
Prices: $$$
Hailing from Brighton, England, Passenger (also known as Mike Rosenberg) had humble beginnings as a busker, transitioning from street corners to sold-out stadiums after his breakout single 'Let Her Go' took off in 2013. Now headlining a tour of Australia, Passenger will be taking to the stage at The Forum to perform well-loved folk hits.

Tame Impala
When: 22-23 October
Where: Rod Laver Arena
Prices: $$$
Tame Impala's Australian and New Zealand tour has been a long time coming-after facing two postponements due to COVID-19-related travel restrictions, the Perth-born psychedelic musician will finally be arriving at Melbourne's Rod Laver Arena in support of his hit record The Slow Rush, which saw popular songs such as 'Lost In Yesterday' and 'Borderline'. 

Wavves
When: 26 October
Where: Corner Hotel
Prices: $$
Californian indie punk rockers Wawes are celebrating the 10th anniversary of their third studio album, King of the Beach, with a headline show at The Corner Hotel in Richmond this October, with all tracks off the album to be performed live by the Nathan Williams-led outfit. Singles including "Post Acid', "Super Soaker' and 'Idiot' are to be expected, as they take you back to the early 2010s with their signature trail of teenage destruction.

IDLES
When: 31 October
Where: Rod Laver Arena
Prices: $$
Fresh off the back of a brand new album and a sold-out tour of the United States, British rockers IDLES mark their first time on Australian soil since their sold-out debut tour in 2019. Their latest record, CRAWLER, was described as an album of reflection and healing amid a worldwide pandemic, with frontman Joe Talbot saying, "We want people who've gone through trauma, heartbreak, and loss to feel like they're not alone. This album shows the ugly side of where those things come from, but also how it is possible to reclaim joy from those experiences.

George Ezra
When: 31 October
Where: Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Prices: $$
In promotion of the recently released third studio album Gold Rush Kid, the 'Budapest' singer is set to return Down Under to deliver the first live renditions of the euphoric 12-track record. With a warm, syrupy voice and feel-good tunes, Ezra's grand return to music after a long four-year wait could not have arrived sooner.