A richer student experience, but for who? The discriminatory effects of abandoning dual delivery.

With the days of strict lockdowns and cautious safety measures seemingly behind us, the University of Melbourne has implemented a return to full on-campus learning for all undergraduate and most postg

The American private equity giant buying up our local pubs

Have you noticed that something hasn’t quite been the same about your favourite pubs since the pandemic? Perhaps the pints are costlier, the menu has changed, the staff’s smiles appear forced and ther

Normalisation of Unpaid Trials: How Melbourne’s Casual Job Market Exploits International Students

Shivani, 21, moved from India six months ago. In April, she was called in for her first casual job at a kebab joint on Flinders Street. The marketing graduate was asked by the owner to do 12 hours

On Dreading Netflix's Upcoming Depp v. Heard Documentary

A few weeks ago, Netflix announced its new documentary, Depp vs. Heard, set to premiere later this month. The promises made were lofty: to re-examine the trial, to analyze the mass hysteria it provoke

Equitable Contraceptive Responsibility: Pioneering Gender-Neutral Contraceptive Solutions

If it takes two to tango, why does only one have to suffer? There should be more safe and effective methods available for men so that we can all equitably share the contraceptive responsibility.

The Top 10 Music Releases of March

Foddernonfiction

In no particular order.

UK Grim – Sleaford Mods

The self-described electronic munt minimalist punk-hop duo return with another collection of abrasive anthems for the British working class. The duo’s brash sonic sarcasm and politically charged verse serve up another dose of surprisingly danceable noise.

Sunrise Bang Ur Head Against the Wall – Nia Archives

Nia Archives has quickly ascended the ranks of the UK Drum and Bass scene in recent years,  her latest EP Surprise Bang Ur Head Against the Wall being a prime exhibit why. The 23-year-old’s characteristic breakbeats and skilfully syncopated sampling is further integrated with RnB flavours and soulful vocals. 

10,000 gecs – 100 gecs

The duo's characteristically absurd hyperpop is driven to such fervour that this album will catch the typical listener off guard. But scarcely is music so enjoyable for those wanting to let loose and embrace an incongruous collection of familiar melodies set against spoofy and liberating instrumentals.

I Am the River, The River is Me – Jen Cloher

Local legend singer-songwriter Jen Cloher returns, after her self-titled 2017 release cemented her dexterous lyricism as a hallmark of the Melbourne music scene. I am the River, The River is Me yields an intriguing exploration of lost ties with country and indigeneity—formidable with its bilingual verse.

Ugly – slowthai

Slowthai has subdued his grime roots in favour of a noisy alternative rock palette, in a controversial move for his loyal listenership. Ugly proves his artistry won’t be confined to his angsty beginnings and offers a more emotionally driven, sonically diverse collection of tracks.

Radial Gate – Sluice

Justin Morris’ second album under the Sluice moniker offers a unique variation on the North Americana country sound. Though initially Morris’ archetypally-Americana choruses may feel reiterant in their resolving movements, his intimate and intricately hued lyricism craft a formidable narrative for the listener to interrogate, set against accordions and guitars that conjure a nostalgia in his favour. A precious oddball to keep in mind.

the record – boygenius

A big day for Dr Martens wearers and purple hair adorners worldwide. Bridgers, Dacus and Baker return with another helping of homogeneous indie pop sadness. Most will know what to expect with this one, and the trio stay true to their trusted soft vocals and familiar melodies, weaving a sonically harmonious collection of tracks sure to please. See Fodder team member Chelsea Daniels’ March Top 10 write up of lead single ‘$20’.

‘Take the World Apart’ – Yusuf / Cat Stevens

The folk legend of our parents presents a distinctly cheery, wholesome folk tune, unmistakably sung with the comfort of one of the greats. As if it were made for those sepia-tinted singalong memories for children and grandparents to share, ‘Take the World Apart’ is a no-frills break from it all.

‘No Harm Done’ –  The Slingers (ft. Juice Webster)

A funky turn for the beer-soaked rockers, perhaps marking a new avenue for the lovable ‘motel pop’ larrikins, who over the past six years have built a strong domestic following through a relentless touring schedule. The Melbourne boys cement their place on the hallowed Flightless Records roster, in a record highly recommended to those with alternative sympathies looking to get into the local music scene.

Praise a Lord Who Chews But Which Does Not Consume; (Or Simply, Hot Between Worlds) – Yves Tumor

In one of the more ground-breaking releases of the month, Yves Tumor presents a genre-androgynous work, amalgamating intricate soundscapes into a futuristic Baroque work that has earned him comparisons to the likes of Prince and Grace Jones. For lovers of Bjork and Frank Ocean alike.

Listen to the full playlist on Spotify:

Farrago's magazine cover - Edition Two 2023

EDITION FOUR 'MULTIVERSE' AVAILABLE NOW!

What would you find if you walked through the looking glass into another time? Why are all the plastic googly eyes you spilt over your bedroom floor following your every move? The entire universe and beyond is your disco ball of scintillating possibility.