President's News — 13 March 2023

JOIN THE CLIMATE STRIKE, meeting at 12:30pm THIS FRIDAY at South Lawn on the Parkville campus..

president
JOIN THE CLIMATE STRIKE, meeting at 12:30pm THIS FRIDAY at South Lawn on the Parkville campus. DETAILS HERE.

Climate change is one of the most important issues for students today – our entire futures are stake. However corporations and governments are still opening up new fossil fuel projects and increasing emissions.

The federal Labor government in Australia is considering over 100 new fossil fuel projects. Just one of these alone, the WA Scarborough gas project, will produce 1.6 billion tonnes of C02 over the next 25 years.

Our own University continues to contribute to climate change, to the tune of millions of dollars invested in destructive fossil fuel and weapons companies.

From the empty promises of governments to the lies and cover-ups of fossil fuel giants, it is becoming clear that not enough is being done to reverse the trajectory towards runaway climate change.

Asking nicely hasn't worked. We need to build a mass protest movement in the streets to fight for real climate action.

The UMSU Environment Department is organising a climate strike on March 17, as part of a nation-wide day of action. Students are encouraged to attend at 12:30pm this Friday at South Lawn on the Parkville campus.

Environment Office Bearers James Gallagher, and Emma Dynes.
Endorsed by President Hiba Adam.