Followspot News - Week 3 2023

FB Followspot cover

FOLLOWSPOT

IMG 8235

It’s Week 3 already! We can hardly believe it. Time flies when you’re having fun!

Read on as we have show reveals, EOI callouts and giveaways that will definitely get you excited for the semester ahead.

Love,
UHT

***

UHT Show Launched!

DEN hero image2

Do Everything Now Before the World Ends

Tickets on sale!

Do you feel like time is running out? Are you trying to Do Everything Now Before the World Ends?
Take a breather from your to-do list and join us.
Enjoy your last day on Earth as we DISCO TILL THE END!
What to expect:
Glitter, shimmering lights, moths, creatures, spaceships, and a HUGE disco ball.

Funny, eclectic, thought-provoking theatre and dance that will move you to pieces.
Save the date.

Directed and choreographed by Xanthe Beesley and Caroline Meaden
Dates: 18-29 April 2023
Tickets: $10-$20
Duration: 30 minutes

Find out more.

***

FREE Theatre Workshops

PROD 1

Workshop season starts today!

Is it time for you to level up your theatre game and gather new skills? Learn acting, stage management, costume, marketing and so much more with industry professionals and UHT staff!

We have 12 workshops on offer so don’t miss out! Only on for two weeks.

Browse workshops.

***

Writer-in-Residence EOI open

ben

Have an idea that you want to turn into a play? Want to try a hand at playwriting but don’t even know where to start?

Our Writer in Residence program is just the thing you’ve been looking for. Mentored by award-winning playwright Ben Nichols (who is also nominated for the Green Room awards this year!), you can bring your seed of an idea and grow it into a big leafy tree. All you need to do is fill out an EOI form, and make it quick because applications close 25th of March.

Read more about the program.

***

Mentorship EOI open

mentor

“I wonder what it would be like to do marketing or lighting design on a professional level. Or even production manage… I wish Connor, Clynton, Allen, and Simran could show me the ropes…”

Guess what? The UHT team is offering mentorships to students throughout semester one to become experts in the following:

▪ Production management
▪ Set design and construction
▪ Lighting / set design
▪ Marketing / Arts Admin
Production management
Set design and construction
Lighting / set design
Marketing / Arts Admin

“So, what does it take to apply?”
This simple EOI form!

Read more about mentorships.

***

STUDENT THEATRE GROUPS

the good one

_'Do I know you?' presented by MUSLSA_

Opens on Thursday!

How well do you know your family? Your friends? Or even yourself? For every answer you may think you have, MUSLSA’s got the question to trump you.

These questions, which will delve deep into the themes of loyalty, trust and risk, will be posed in the highly anticipated comeback of our Annual Charity Play: Do I Know You?

A comedic, thrilling and nail-biting play that’s guaranteed to have you laughing, crying and everything in-between! Get ready for a night of banter, fun and one very special video game that’s not quite as it seems…

All proceeds and profit of this play will be donated to the Foundation of Goodness. This charity strives to empower Sri Lanka’s upcoming generation through the use of technology in the classroom. MUSLSA has partnered with Foundation of Goodness and pledged to purchase laptops for a computer room at a Foundation of Goodness skill centre.

Date: 16 March – 18 March 6:30PM
Venue: Union Theatre

Buy tickets

***
IMG 9758

Mudcrabs

FREE COMEDY!

Join The Mudcrabs on Wednesday March 1 in the Rowden White Library from 1pm for our fortnightly Rowdy Laughter show. Or if you'd like to perform come to our Rowdy Writing session next Friday!

***

Shakespeare Scholarship

shake

Melburnians wanted a statue to mark the tercentenary of Shakespeare's birth in 1864; they fell short of their fundraising goal, but instead created the annual Shakespeare Scholarship -- the University of Melbourne's first scholarship! $3000 for the best 4000 to 5000-word essay on Shakespeare. To be eligible for this scholarship, you must be enrolled in the course for the degree of Bachelor of Arts at the University of Melbourne and be undertaking a second, third, or fourth-year English and Theatre Studies subject.

Applications close 10 April.

Apply here.

***

Rowdy Book Sale!

rowdy

The Rowdy Annual Sale is on again!

This year you're in for a special treat: along with the usual books, the entire DVD and CD collection will also be up for sale!

Everything $2,
Wed 15th March, 10am-5pm

Room 205, Level 2 Student Pavilion, Building 162 Monash Rd, University of Melbourne

Get in quick before all the good stuff gets snapped up!

***

GIVEAWAYS

Case Numbers Square Image 1

Case Numbers

Written and Performed by Dylan Cole

We have three double passes to offer for the Thursday 8PM show (30th of march). Send us your name, mobile number and email addresses by Friday 17th March, and you may win a double pass!

This is a show about a man who’s inherited a locked briefcase.

It's about guessing numbers and trying to open a briefcase.
It's about one man trying to figure out a combination.
It's about Case Numbers.

30 March to 9 April 2023
Tues - Sat 8pm, Sun 7pm
Opening Night Friday 31st March, 8pm
Tickets: $28 Full, $22 Concession, $20 Groups 4+, $15 Preview and Tuesdays
Bookings: 03 9245 3788 or online
Venue: Greek Centre (Two) - 168 Lonsdale St, Melbourne CBD

***
lou

Lou Wall VS The Internet

I want you to think of the person you are most jealous of. This is a show about them. Well it’s also about me. And murder and the internet. But it’s also defs about them. Can you handle that? I can’t.

A high octane, action packed story delving into the Wild Wild West of the World Wide Web. This internet battle royale is brought to you by a Gen Z who would rather tell you their pin number than their daily screen time. It’s a Powerpoint-fuelled epic that sees Lou trawl the net to defeat the crushing isolation of an increasingly hyperlinked world.

SEASON: ACMI Gandel Lab, Melbourne Town Hall
March 30th – April 9th, 6:30pm (Sun: 5:30pm) with one show only at MTH Powder Room.

Read more

***

Powered by Mad Mimi®A GoDaddy® company