President's News — 12 August 2022

Statement regarding proposed "UMSU Stands with Palestine - BDS and Solidarity Policy".

president

The University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU), and its predecessor organisations, has maintained a 130-year tradition of students standing up for human rights issues, including those relating to international affairs. This is consistent with the purpose, mission and values of UMSU. 

Council considers a range of motions on different topics. In recent times, this has included two motions in relation to events in Palestine.  

The most recent motion was proposed by a student. It will be considered on Monday following the same process as all valid student proposed motions. 

UMSU endeavours to ensure that motions are robust, passed with due diligence and supported by appropriate consultation.  

UMSU recently engaged an independent agency to facilitate a consultation process with relevant stakeholders, including relevant pro-Palestinian and Jewish bodies on campus.  

This consultation process was conducted to help inform Students’ Council about student perspectives on this topic. It was not conducted for the purpose of preparing a motion. The consultation process was completed on 1 August 2022. 

UMSU continues to encourage respectful debate of international affairs on campus and deplores and denounces bigotry and hate speech in all its forms. 

Our highest priority, as always, is to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all students.  

Sophie Nguyen 
UMSU President
president@union.unimelb.edu.au