Revolution: Crosspoint of Power of 45-65

'Revolution: Crosspoint of Power of 45-65' by Patriot Mukmin. On show 8-19 April 2024. Opening event: Thursday 11 April 5-7pm.

ex-archiveno-news

Patriot Mukmin
8-19 April 2024
Opening event Thursday 11 April 5-7pm.

This exhibition is the initial stage of my research, which examines what happened in Indonesia in 1965-66, where a tragedy occurred that claimed hundreds of thousands of lives. By examining what happened in the previous period (1945-65), I aim to understand the social background and dynamics and provide an objective view. This exhibition presents my response to the literature and archives I discovered in that preliminary investigation.

Patriot Mukmin is a PhD researcher at the Victorian College of Art, University of Melbourne. He also works as an artist and lecturer at the Faculty of Art and Design, Bandung Institute of Technology. His research focuses on the semiotic reading of visual signs, especially in works of art. In addition, he often borrows concepts in Semiotics to construct his creations. The scope of his research includes social phenomena, history and its influence on the current practice of Indonesian art creation. As a visual artist, he has presented several solo exhibitions such as La Mer, at the Centre Intermondes, France (2023), Empty Unempty at the Fuwari no Mori, Japan (2019), Treachery of Paintings in Art Jakarta (2017), Vox Populi at the Jeonbuk Museum of Art Residency, South Korea (2016), and KUP: Titik Silang Kuasa 66-98 (Coup: Crosspoint of Power 66-98) at the Lawangwangi Creative Space, Bandung, Indonesia (2015).