Divestment for Dummies: An UMSU Enviro Guide

Care about the environment but don't know what to do? Don't worry, 2022 UMSU Environment OBs Chelsea Daniel and Zach Matthews are coming to the rescue.

A Very Condensed Impression of the Registered Parties: Part 4

It’s the final countdown… these are the last bunch of parties you might see on your ballots—depending on what state/electorate you’re from!

Reason Australia: A fairly left-wing, progressive party—the thing that seems to set them apart is they have policy around LGBTQI+ rights, which the majority of other parties seem to lack. You can find the rest of their policies here. They have seven candidates; one for the electorate of Higgins and two senate candidates each for Victoria, Queensland and NSW.

Rex Patrick Team: A South Australia based independent Senate candidate Rex Patrick, who has worked in and around the Australian navy and defence. Key issues for this party are Australian industrial and economic development, integrity in parliament, addressing the Murray-Darling crisis, and intervention against foreign interference.

Seniors United Party of Australia: “A group of Sydney retirees who refuse to be pushed around any longer”. Do I need to say more? I do? This party is focused on the interests of aged Australians, which does include implementing the recommendations of the Royal Commission into aged care, something which has been left largely unaddressed up until now. Besides this, they have a veeeery looooong single page policy which is apparently “subject to change” along with the party’s members and attitudes—and I thought I was indecisive. Also, oddly conversational and questionable at points—“overpopulation crisis” did seem to crop up a lot; not sure exactly how they’re thinking we should solve that one. It’s giving strong “contemplations of boomers over lunch” vibes.

Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party: A party focused on rural issues, with a side of easing gun restrictions. A lot of mudslinging about the major parties, but beyond that a pretty run-of-the-mill rural conservative party, which their policies reflect. They have sitting parliamentarians at the state level, and seven candidates for the federal election.

Socialist Alliance: A left-leaning party that wants to tax the rich and act on the climate crisis (and a bunch of other stuff—they have quite a thorough set of policies). Focused on more community based links and action, improving circumstances of marginalised groups, they more or less live up to their name! They have fourteen candidates.

Sustainable Australia Party - Stop Overdevelopment / Corruption: A self-proclaimed centrist party whose main policy issues are around protecting the environment and (who would have guessed it) stopping overdevelopment and corruption. Another party that, at least on the surface, seems quite progressive. They have candidates for every state and territory.

TNL: A Queensland party formerly known as the New Liberal Party (NOT affiliated with that Liberal party!!! They are quite emphatic about this). Warning: their website that is linked above isn’t secure. If I wasn’t an Arts student, I’d tell you what that means. I did risk my technological security so you don’t have to, to find out that they actually have a very detailed set of policies which are, drumroll please... Quite liberal! They have 19 candidates for various seats in Queensland, NSW, and Victoria.

The Great Australian Party: Formed by former senator Rod Culleton who was a member of One Nation, then became independent, then got kicked out because he was ineligible to be a senator. Apparently, they want to abolish personal income tax and replace Family Court with mediation and counselling. Like their right-leaning brethren they too don’t like “forced” vaccinations! Birds of a feather, I suppose. They have 28 candidates, with some for every state and territory.

The Local Party of Australia: It's easier to find these peeps' Facebook page thantheir party website. That’s pretty local! A Tasmanian party, big on affordable housing and climate action. They have 7 candidates.

Victorian Socialists: Unsurprisingly, fans of all things socialism. They have twelve candidates: one for the Senate and eleven for Victorian seats. Another left-leaning party with a big, long policy page; and quite a thorough one at that. Have quite a few policy points (like the fact that they want to lower the voting age to sixteen…ooh contentious!) that might be a bit too progressive for some, so worth having a look to see what you think.

Western Australian Party: A WA party with quite an aesthetically pleasing website. Probably one of the only parties who directly mention supporting strong quarantining and border protection measures for the pandemic. Their policies are quite sparse though—a lot of commonly covered areas are either missing or quite limited. Everything else is fairly general in its description, but  some takeaways: pro-access to “good education” (whatever that means), anti payroll tax, want for increased police funding, which is an interesting one, and as far as climate action goes, they don’t say they will, don’t say they won’t. They have 16 candidates.

Whelp, that’s everyone! If you’re here before you vote, congratulations, and good luck! If you’re here after: I hope there weren't any unpleasant surprises.

EDITION THREE 2022 AVAILABLE NOW!

‘After Hours’ will transport you to a land of dizzy dreams and astonishing nightmares... A land where the rules that structure our days are turned on their heads; where stressed students let loose and follow the pull of the moon.