HAPPY DAYS is a Philosophical Gem on Stage

Fodderreviews

If you're in the mood for a theatrical experience that will make you ponder the mysteries of life, then Samuel Beckett's Happy Days is just the play for you.

It's a fascinating and mind-bending exploration of time, existence, and human relationships, leaving you questioning everything you thought you knew. I went to the play having read the description (which is rare for me, I like to be surprised) and the warnings about there being a naked butt on stage.

My first impression of the stage, amidst the hustle and bustle of people settling in, was simply awe. I zoomed in on the stage with my phone to look at the set. I was hooked even before the play started.

(Here’s a video if you want a glimpse of the spectacular set.)

The set design is evocative yet has a minimalistic, singular point of focus, the mound of earth serving as a powerful symbol of the characters' entrapment and the passage of time. Subtle changes in lighting and sound effectively enhanced the play's mood and atmosphere, accentuating the characters' isolation and existential angst.

The play revolves around Winnie (Judith Lucy), a middle-aged woman stuck in a mound of earth up to her waist. Despite her unusual situation, Winnie maintains unshakable optimism and fills her days with ordinary activities.

Winnie never questions her predicament. A piercing bell awakens her, beginning the play. Through her monologues and occasional interactions with her husband, Willie, we get a glimpse into a character who faces the harsh realities of life with humour, resilience, and an unwavering spirit.

The success of the play hinges on the exceptional performance of its lead actor, Judith. Portraying Winnie requires many emotions delivered with subtle physicality, and Judith delivers a captivating and nuanced rendition of this 20th-century classic.

From expressive facial expressions to delivering Beckett's profound and poetic language with precision, Judith flawlessly embodies Winnie's complexities, provoking empathy and introspection from the audience.

Beckett's distinctive writing style takes centre stage in Happy Days. Written in 1961, the play is characterised by its sparse dialogue, fragmented narrative, and repetitive phrases and actions.

While some may find this repetition tiring, it serves a purpose: it underscores the monotony of everyday life. This was the best part for me, though it was also frustrating at times. In some parts of the play, I admired the mundaneness of the repetition, but in others, I just wanted it to move on. It does highlight how we tend to cling to familiar routines, even in the face of existential uncertainty.

Beckett's words are carefully crafted, laden with multiple layers of meaning that beckon the audience to delve deeper into the philosophical themes explored.

That being said, Happy Days may not resonate with everyone. The play's abstract nature and existential themes are what make it a success, but they are also what make it require an open mind and a willingness to embrace ambiguity and philosophical introspection.

Some audience members might find it challenging to fully engage with the narrative. I, myself, would have struggled if it wasn’t delivered so well. Given the play's unconventional structure and the limited physical movement of the characters, a lot of pressure is placed on dialogue delivery and subtle yet impactful movements.

To wrap up, Happy Days by Samuel Beckett is an intellectually stimulating theatrical experience (cue the set) that dives deep into profound questions about what it means to be human. My friend and I talked about this on our way home, trying to walk fast in the rain with no umbrellas. Melbourne weather: a constant surprise!

With its exceptional performances and Beckett's poetic prose, the play invites contemplation on themes of time, isolation, and the resilience of the human spirit. While it might not be everyone's cup of tea, those seeking a thought-provoking and unconventional theatrical journey will find Happy Days to be a rewarding and unforgettable experience.

Prepare to be captivated by its avant-garde style and a standout performance that brings philosophical musings to life.

You can catch Happy Days at Southbank Theatre until 10 June.