'Irago - 이라고 - Said So': A Multifaceted Journey of Healing and Belonging

In a world constantly in flux, where our individual paths to healing seem as intricate and varied as the human experience itself, "Irago - 이라고 - Said So" emerges as a compelling exploration of closure, transformation, and community.

Fodderreviews

In a world constantly in flux, where our individual paths to healing seem as intricate and varied as the human experience itself, Irago - 이라고 - Said So emerges as a compelling exploration of closure, transformation, and community. Created by a dynamic group of artists—Cindy Yunha Jang-Barlow, Jefferson Chen, Callum Lee and Xixi Xian—this experimental show defies convention, seamlessly fusing contemporary dance with sonic storytelling to craft a narrative that transcends traditional boundaries.

According to the show’s lead creator Cindy, the genesis of Irago - 이라고 - Said So lies in the creators' personal quests for closure within their own healing journeys. Cindy, whose relationship with dance defies commercial norms, took the lead in carving out a unique space for expression. Callum, with a background in music composition, contributed the sonic elements, while Xixi brought to light the visual elements and Jeff focused on the thematic aspects that underpin the entire production.

The result is a tapestry of experiences and emotions, weaving together layers of personal introspection, the healing of inner wounds, and the subtle echoes of past traumas. Cindy, Callum, Xixi and Jeff have masterfully channeled their collective creative energy into a show that resonates on multiple levels.

Irago invites audiences into an immersive experience where they become part of a living, breathing narrative. The intention is for the audience to immerse themselves in a myriad of scenarios, allowing their thoughts to echo and reverberate, much like the cyclical nature of life during periods of lockdown. This immersive experience aims to evoke a profound sense of reflection and connection, as individuals find elements of their own experiences echoed within these diverse settings. The power lies in open interpretation, inviting viewers to explore their own narratives within the framework of the performance.

At its core, the show delves into the delicate balance between the yearning for community and the pursuit of individuality. The creators, all migrants themselves, grapple with the inner dialogue of finding their place in a new country while nurturing ties to their homeland. It's a poignant exploration of the intersection between family support and the pursuit of personal dreams, a universal theme that resonates deeply with audiences.

Another distinctive feature of Irago - 이라고 - Said So is the use of incomplete phrases. The word "Irago" itself carries no inherent meaningbut gains significance through its conjunction with other words. This deliberate choice empowers the audience to fill in the blanks with their own meanings and interpretations, forging a personal connection that lingers long after the show ends.

In a bold move, audience participation is actively encouraged. Viewers are guided through the space, creating an interactive journey akin to a tour guide leading explorers to a destination. This level of interaction goes beyond the usual passive experience, evoking a sense of personal connection and intimacy with the performance.

As Cindy, Callum, Xixi and Jeff forge ahead with a DIY approach to art and creativity, their hope is that the sweat and toil poured into this project will translate into an experience that leaves an indelible mark on audiences. With workshops offering a taste of contemporary dance and an unwavering commitment to their vision, Irago - 이라고 - Said So promises to be a groundbreaking testament to the power of art in its rawest form—a conduit for healing, belonging, and self-discovery.

Irago - 이라고 - Said So runs from 12 to 14 October. Tickets are available here.