Justin Baré resigns as UMSU CEO

In a statement released today, Justin Baré has resigned from his position as CEO of the University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) and will be leaving at the end of this year.

Justin Baré has resigned from his position as CEO of the University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) and will be leaving at the end of this year.

His resignation was announced today via a statement by the UMSU President provided to staff.

Phoebe Churches, UMSU Manager of Advocacy & Legal, will act as Interim CEO while UMSU begins the process of finding their new CEO.

President Sophie Nguyen stated that Baré and her have engaged in work in the previous weeks to ensure that UMSU is “well placed” as they transition into 2022, with Baré committing to “provide ongoing support” to Churches within this period.

Nguyen also thanked Baré for his service to UMSU as CEO.

“The UMSU we know today is unrecognisable from the UMSU that Justin stepped into in 2006 only a matter of months after UMSU's life began,” said Nguyen.

“Over the past 15 and a half years, Justin has made a significant contribution to UMSU and has been central to its transformation … [He] has worked with generations of student representatives and with staff throughout this time.”

The statement also claims that UMSU is in a “strong position” and “a place of financial security” as they enter this transition period.

UMSU will not only be looking for a new CEO, but negotiating their final months in Union House and their move to the New Student Precinct in a commitment to return to campus in 2022

More to come.

Image provided by the University of Melbourne.