NUS condemns increased university funding announced by Morrison Government

The National Union of Students (NUS) have condemned the Coalition Government’s new research funding project which will see a $1.6 billion increase in university funding for “projects with high potential commercialisations” in fields that are deemed high priority by the Government.

“The AEA [Australia’s Economic Accelerator] will drive our universities and businesses to work hand-in-glove through the stages to prove projects’ viability and potential,” said Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

However, NUS President Georgie Beatty claims that this plan highlights the government’s priority for knowledge only when it comes to profit.

“Universities are places of learning, exploration, knowledge sharing and community building,” said Beatty.

“They are part of the public sector, there to serve the community, not wealthy investors.”

NUS Education Officer Luc Velez echoes these sentiments, noting that the increasing funding for commercialisation projects comes at a time where over 40,000 tertiary jobs were lost and student fees for domestic and international students have risen.

“It is frankly insulting that the government is again prioritising the profitability of research over the experience of both university staff and students,” said Velez.

The NUS encourages the government instead to “look at the ways university funding is letting down both staff and students”.

“University students don’t want commercial research projects—we want our teachers back,” added Beatty.

However, the government believes the AEA will help universities in regard to funding.

“The AEA will become a critical source of competitive funding support for innovating new projects with high commercial potential, and will take a lot of the risk and uncertainty for universities out of the equation,” said Acting Minister for Education and Youth Stuart Robert.

This comes after it was announced on Christmas eve that Robert vetoed research projects recommended by the Australia Research Council. The projects involved climate and literary studies such as “New possibilities: student climate action and democratic renewal” and “Playing conditions: how climate shaped the Elizabethan theatre”.

Image provided by the University of Melbourne.