Radio Fodder's Declassified Gig Survival Guide: November & December Edition

editionsixFoddernonfiction

Originally Published in Farrago Edition Six (2022). 

Melbourne's music scene is unrivalled. There's always space and time for live tunes in every corner and crevice of the city on almost every night of the week-only if you know where to look. There are ear-shattering punk-rock jams, slow, groovy jazz or earworm pop in sticky-floored bars or in larger-capacity city venues; there's something for everyone in Radio Fodder's carefully curated handbook of good times, good booze and good music.

Without further ado, we invite you to have a gander at our picks for our most anticipated gigs to celebrate the final two months of 2022! As usual, we've included a mix of larger-scale, mainstream international headliners as well as local gigs hosted at more modest, smaller-scale venues. We might be approaching our third consecutive year of COVID-19-related curtailments, but our local live music scene will need all the support you can possibly provide them.

TEENAGE DADS
When: 5 November
Where: Gasometer Bandroom, Collingwood
Price: $
Fresh off the recent release of their latest track Teddy, the indie-pop four-piece--a band formed by four Mornington Peninsula high school friends--are embarking on a cross-country trek in support of their latest music. They're known for their electric stage presence; rich in dance and singalongs, their shows embody the richness of what it means to be in the presence of live music and live art. Teenage Dads are also gearing up for more music releases in the near future, so concert-goers might be in for a cheeky sneak peek.

KESHI
When: 22 November
Where: Palace Foreshore, St Kilda
Price: $$
Kevin Nguyens of Victoria, this ones for you. You're probably already acquainted with who keshi is, but for those of you who don't and are keen on gentle, meaningful and independent music-making from an Asian artist, keshi might be the one for you. He's currently on his HELL/ HEAVEN tour of Asia-Pacific, and is set to hit Australian shores for a show in Melbourne. It comes hot on the heels of his recently released album GABRIEL too, so even long-time fans will have some new music to jam out to in his presence

VANCE JOY
When: 26 November
Where: Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Price: $$$
Vance Joy's upcoming shows across the country have been touted as an unforgettable homecoming for the musician--after achieving global recognition with hit singles like "Riptide", 'Mess Is Mine', 'Fire and the Flood' and 'Lay It On Me', among others, Vance Joy is officially a folk powerhouse to be reckoned with. This upcoming tour is set to be his biggest tour yet, as well as the perfect chance for us to celebrate the best of what Australian music has to offer.

DRY CLEANING
When: 12 December
Where: Corner Hotel, Richmond
Price: $$
Shortly after Dry Cleaning dropped their sophomore record, Stumpwork in October, Dry Cleaning are set to arrive down under for stops across Australia in December, off the back of an extensive tour across North America and Europe. As their debut headline tour of the nation, Dry Cleaning are the perfect introduction to the contemporary English post-punk scene, for anyone willing to dip their toes into something new.

WALLOWS
When: 8 November
Where: The Forum
Price: $$
Wallows are a staple for any indie-pop fan, which is why it's so exciting that they're headed to our humble little city for their currently ongoing world tour. Even if you're not a loyal follower, you may have heard some of their discography via viral TikTok trends. But perhaps this may be a sign for you to dig deeper if a night of good fun and soft, catchy tunes appeals to you--they're performing in support of March's Tell Me That It's Over album. Bonus: they'll be joined by Brisbane dream-pop artist Hatchie as their opening act, so it's really two for the price of one.

BIG THIEF
When: 23 & 24 November
Where: The Forum (23), Elisabeth Murdoch Hall, Melbourne Recital Centre (24)
Price: $$$
Big Thief are an integral artist for anybody who would describe themselves as a fan of indie rock and/or folk music. There's no surprise as to why they're so popular among the indie scene-their music sounds ethereal live. Perhaps this was why they've decided to grace Melbourne with a two-night show as some of the first few shows of their Spring 2023 tour, in celebration and promotion of their affecting new album Dragon New Warm Mountain Believe In You.

GUNS N' ROSES
When: 3 December
Where: Melbourne Cricket Ground, Richmond
Price: $$$
Classic rock band Guns N' Roses are ushering in the return of stadium rock with their one and only Melbourne show this December. This isn't the only occasion their upcoming gig is celebrating: it will also be the first time Axl Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan reunite on stage since 1993. Not only will it be a bucket-list concert, but you'll also be witnessing music history in person. Not a bad deal, if you ask me.

THE KILLERS
When: 13 & 14 December
Where: Rod Laver Arena
Price: $$$
If The Killers didn't define your iPod playlists in the early 2000s, you clearly weren't doing it right. Coming to Australia for the first time since their 2018 tour of Australasia, The Killers are on the road for their Imploding the Mirage tour of live classics and 2000s nostalgia.

SAM FENDER
When: 18 November
Where: Palace Foreshore, St Kilda
Price: $$$
Born and raised in the north-eastern English town of North Shields, Sam Fender catapulted to mainstream fame with the release of his Seventeen Going Under album last year. He has the perfect discography for anybody who winds down to anthemic rock coupled with affecting, politically charged lyricism, but we imagine witnessing his music live would be an out-of-body experience.

SUNK LOTO
When: 24 & 25 November
Where: Max Watt's
Price: $$
Sunk Lot's series of shows across Australia are especially important for the band; they mark the Australian metal pioneers' return to the live stage. Their oeuvre is a classic amongst metal aficionados: 2003's Between Birth and Death has been long revered as one of the most influential home-grown metal outfits of the early 2000s. Sunk Loto have a rich history, and acclaimed discography-what else is there to ask for in a perfect gig?

KING GIZZARD & THE LIZARD WIZARD
When: 10 December
Where: Palace Foreshore, St Kilda
Price: $$$
Prolific Australian psych-rock band King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard will be bringing the electric new music from the three studio albums they released in October--Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms And Lava, followed by Laminated Denim and Changes--to the Palace Foreshore. They'll also be joined by Perth's Stella Donnelly and Melbourne punk rockers CIVIC.

KEITH URBAN
When: 17 December
Where: Rod Laver Arena
Price: $
Despite hailing from Australia, Keith Urban's upcoming The Speed of Now tour stops across the country will mark his first in over two years. That means fans will get the chance to witness hits from his tenth studio album live in the flesh from the four-time Grammy winner himself.