“Stand up, fight back!”: Students fight for climate justice in National Day of Action rallies

“When the air we breathe is under attack, what do we do?! Stand up, fight back!” Student protesters gathered at the University of Melbourne’s Parkville campus to fight for climate justice on 17 March, led by the University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) Environment Department as part of a wider National Day of Climate Action.

featuredHomeNews
Students crowd together outside the steps of the State Library of Victoria holding banners that say

Student protesters gathered at the University of Melbourne’s Parkville campus to fight for climate justice on 17 March, led by the University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) Environment Department as part of a wider National Day of Climate Action. Protestors demanded  that the University of Melbourne cut ties with several fossil fuel companies, including Saudi Aramco and ExxonMobil.

UMSU Environment Officer Emma Dynes said the University does not really care to listen to the student body and that students should be fighting for climate justice in direct action.

“The only way that we can really convince them is through creating a political climate on campus where it is not okay for them to get away with doing that sort of stuff,” she said.

James Gallagher, the other UMSU Environment Officer, also accused the University of lying about their commitment to fight climate change while they continue “partnering with some of the most destructive companies in the whole world”.

“Their websites are going on and on about how well the University is leading the way on climate change, on sustainability. But Melbourne Uni is not leading the way on climate change and sustainability. Absolutely, they are pouring fuel on the fire,” he said.

Other speakers emphasised that both at the University of Melbourne, and across Australia more broadly, there is a lack of concern about fighting climate change.

UMSU Environment Committee member Oskar Martin talked about how despite promised climate action, the Albanese Government has still signed off on 114 new coal and gas projects.

“It is clear that [Labor’s] progressivism on the climate is fake,” said Martin.

“The fight for climate justice needs to take on mass movements. To invigorate people to change the current dynamics of society.”.

Another member of the Environment Committee, Lucy Rachman Vascotto, warned that humanity is rapidly approaching the “point where climate change is irreversible.”

“Our planet is dying. From the Lismore floods to the Black Summer fires… the hundreds of once-in-a-lifetime climate crises and disasters that have happened in this country in the past few years… it is clear that we have reached a critical point in the fight against climate change.”

She condemned the introduction of anti-protest laws across Australia and the prosecution of climate activist Violet Coco as “disgusting” and “shameful.”

Students rally outside the Raymond Priestly Building, holding banners that say "NET ZERO LIES WON'T STOP THE TIDE" and "UMSU ENVIRONMENT DEPARTMENT"

After rallying outside University executives’ offices at the Raymond Priestley Building, the protestors marched down Swanston Street to the State Library to join up with other contingents and speakers, including Adam Bandt MP, leader of the Australian Greens.

Bandt called on the Albanese Government to stop approving new coal and gas projects. “We have the people and the science on our side, so why is it still happening?” Bandt said.

“Stop making the problem worse, because you cannot put the fire out while you are pouring petrol on it.”

Sally Fisher, campaign organiser for ‘Geelong Renewables Not Gas, outlined how activists in Geelong took the initiative in calling for the transition from gas to renewables, without the support of the Victorian Government.

“If we accept that the science says that there is climate change happening, and that we need to reduce emissions, it is madness to continue to approve fossil fuel projects,” she said.

“We need stronger environmental laws, which means that you cannot start fossil fuel projects during a climate emergency. It is simple: too much time and energy is being wasted finding projects whose only benefit is for a few people for a very short period of time.”

Neo Williams, a Victoria University student and representative of National Labor Students, highlighted that it will be the working community who will suffer the consequences of the climate crisis.

“This is the sign of a whole system in which working people are an afterthought. Our unions are attacked, and we have no say over our work, no control over our lives,” he said.

After the speakers concluded, the rally marched across the CBD before returning to the State Library. Organisers said that further protest action is planned throughout the rest of 2023.