The Rise of Eco-anxiety in Generation Z: How Climate Change is Affecting our Mental Health

In a world constantly bombarded with news about floods, earthquakes and bushfires, it is no surprise there has been a rise in eco-anxiety over the past few years. Are you someone who has difficulty falling asleep because you are constantly thinking about the impacts of climate change, or do you feel a sense of doom at the rising sea levels? Have you ever felt that fear as if you were on a sinking planet and there is nothing you can do to save it? If so, you may have experienced eco-anxiety.

nonfictionstaffwriters

In a world constantly bombarded with news about floods, earthquakes and bushfires, it is no surprise there has been a rise in eco-anxiety over the past few years.

Are you someone who has difficulty falling asleep because you are constantly thinking about the impacts of climate change, or do you feel a sense of doom at the rising sea levels? Have you ever felt that fear as if you were on a sinking planet and there is nothing you can do to save it? If so, you may have experienced eco-anxiety.

Eco-anxiety is defined as a "chronic fear of environmental doom" by the American Psychological Association. Eco-anxiety comes from observing the irreversible impacts of climate change on the earth and their implications for one's future and that of humanity. While it may not be considered a recognised medical condition per the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), it is a natural occurrence that affects people, especially children and young adults. The heightened concern and awareness people have about the devastating effects of climate change, such as the increasingly rising sea levels and dramatic changes in weather patterns, can lead to complex psychological effects that manifest themselves as trauma, shock, anxiety, depression, substance abuse, reduced feeling of autonomy and control, and rumination to name a few. While eco-anxiety can be an issue for anybody, people with existing mental health issues appear especially vulnerable. 

Its prevalence is growing as the effects of climate change intensify. The ongoing floods in New South Wales and Queensland and the previous 2019/2020 Black Summer bushfires are critical examples of how climate change has affected Australia. The anxiety around the dangers associated with extreme weather plus the extensive media coverage can be overwhelming. Research has shown that many young adults share the same sense of betrayal from governments failing to respond adequately and leaving them with a bleak future. It is disheartening to see how little the governments seem to be doing to limit the temperature rise to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels.

Eco-anxiety appears more prevalent among people who are more aware of the issue of environmental protection. As a result, it disproportionally affects children and young adults (Generation Z). An international survey of 10,000 respondents aged 16–25 from 10 different countries showed how the climate crisis affects young people. It was found that "more than 45 [per cent] of respondents said their feelings about climate change negatively affected their daily life and functioning." One of the consequences of these feelings is that people are questioning whether to have children, based on the belief that they would be bringing a child into an uncertain world—celebrity Miley Cyrus publicly announced in 2019 that she will not be having children until the climate crisis is addressed: "We're getting handed a piece-of-shit planet, and I refuse to hand that down to my child. Until I feel like my kid would live on an earth with fish in the water, I'm not bringing in another person to deal with that… We don't want to reproduce because we know that the earth can't handle it."

The good news is that the effects of eco-anxiety can be alleviated. The key to addressing it is acknowledging the feelings of hopelessness and being overwhelmed, and overcoming them through optimism and hope. The best way to do this is through climate change education. Having reliable information allows you to tackle the problem critically.

So, what can you do? You can act. This can come in many different forms, such as responsible consumption and recycling, taking part in sustainability activities like plogging (picking up plastic from the ground while jogging), creating an urban garden and getting involved in environmental campaigns. Speaking of which, the University of Melbourne Student Union environment department is currently running a campaign called "Divest Now, UniMelb!" with the aim to stop the University from funding fossil fuel companies, and you can sign to show your support. Global Climate Strikes is a series of recurring environmental movement, to which you can show up and protest. Besides, connecting with your community can be useful. The Environmental Justice Collective is being run every week at the University, in which you can connect with like-minded people for a sense of hope and community.

Another way to manage your anxiety is by validating your feelings. Acknowledging your feeling of distress and that it is absolutely reasonable to feel that way considering everything that is happening right now. Research has shown that there is substantial evidence demonstrating the link between mental health and climate change and that "climate change will affect psychological wellbeing." To maintain a good mental state, perhaps try getting in touch with Mother Earth by walking bare feet at the beach or doing walks at the park. The feeling of being overwhelmed can be tackled by breaking it down and starting small—for example, picking one action that helps ease your anxiety and keep doing it until it becomes a habit.

Still, feeling overwhelmed? Take a time-out. Taking mental breaks and avoiding the constant, depressing news feed allows you to restore and reset. If you feel as though things are getting out of control and you cannot manage your emotions, do not hesitate to visit your doctor. 

To conclude, eco-anxiety is real and it especially affects children and young adults like us, which indicates that we have to take care of our own mental health. Without being mentally healthy, it will undoubtedly be harder for us to help contribute to saving our world. While it may seem as though the whole world is falling apart, it is important to never lose our hope, because otherwise, all is really lost.

Take care of yourself, stay safe and stay healthy!