Top 10 Bops of 2018

Fodder

Originally published November 2, 2018 on radiofodder.com

It’s nearing the end of the year. It’s getting too hot for my liking. I’ve even started to see some people in my neighbourhood putting up Christmas lights. Coles is probably starting to sell hot cross buns already. Who knows. All I know is that, while it hasn’t been my favourite year for music, some of my favourite pop queens dropped some incredible bops for me to request at the few parties I get invited to. Because the year’s almost done, I thought it’d be cute for me to do a little wrap up of my Top 10 Bops of 2018. Here goes!

1. no tears left to cry – Ariana Grande

‘no tears left to cry’ was the lead single on ‘Sweetener’, one of few pop albums in recent memory that didn’t flop. I relate on a spiritual level to this song. A tad overplayed, but it’s okay. It’s still a bop. Also, before you comment something about ‘God is a woman’ deserving a spot on my list, it’s too midtempo to qualify as a bop. Sorry not sorry.  

2. Throw A Fit – Tinashe

Speaking of flops… Tinashe’s album ‘Joyride’ wasn’t—how should I put this?—the most aurally pleasing experience to sit through. I think she kind of knew it too—why else would she drop new music like three months after releasing her album? Anyway, I’m not complaining, because ‘Throw a Fit’ is such a bop. She’s also going to play Mimi in Rent Live, and I’m super keen.

3. 2002 – Anne-Marie

As someone who’s constantly living in the past—whether that’s by listening to bubblegum pop from the early ‘00s, dwelling on traumatic high school memories, or holding onto a petty seven-year-old grudge—I really appreciate this song. This is the wholesome pop anthem I needed in 2018. And anyone who samples Britney in their chorus is a winner in my books.

4. Make Me Feel – Janelle Monáe

Drawing influence from her mentor Prince’s song ‘Kiss’, Janelle Monáe dropped this incredible single from ‘Dirty Computer’, one of the most well received albums of 2018. The song just oozes sexy vibes and I live for every second of it. You can’t not want to dance when you hear this song and that’s the true mark of a good bop.

5. Dem Beats – Todrick Hall ft. RuPaul

Todrick said he wanted to create a gay club anthem with this track and he definitely achieved his goal. The production on this song is everything, and the music video—in which Todrick dons an incredible unicorn drag look—is iconic. I can just close my eyes and I’m transported all the way to Yah Yah’s.

6. The Middle – Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey

Yes, I know I’m basic af, but there’s a reason why this was one of the biggest songs of 2018. It’s catchy as hell and a certified bop. Zedd just really knows how to create a pop masterpiece. I’m also glad that ‘The Middle’ gave country queen Maren Morris her well deserved break into the mainstream. Here’s a cute pic of us when I met her at her meet and greet.

7. Woman Like Me – Little Mix ft. Nicki Minaj

I’ve been waiting almost two years for a new Little Mix album, and I’m so ready for ‘LM5’ to drop later this month—you can rest assured that I will be doing a review. The lead single ‘Woman Like Me’ featuring Nicki Minaj isn’t my favourite song from the girls—that spot is held until the end of time by ‘Touch’. However, there’s more than enough room in my heart (and bops playlist on Spotify) for this female empowerment anthem.

8. Heart to Break – Kim Petras

German pop queen Kim Petras brings her signature blend of ‘80s synthy production and a modern pop sound to ‘Heart to Break’. It’s super catchy and perfect for a little bedroom boogie. She also serves some serious looks in the music video. I’m still waiting for mainstream music to give her the respect she deserves…

9. Curious – Hayley Kiyoko

I’m so proud of my Asian sister Hayley Kiyoko scoring a hit with ‘Curious’. While the rest of her album was a bit so-so, there’s no denying gay anthem ‘Curious’ is a bop and a half. Hopefully the new year brings us some more bops from Hayley.

10. Party for One – Carly Rae Jepsen

The first time I heard this song, I wasn’t much of a fan of the first verse. But then that chorus hit me like the bus hit Regina George in ‘Mean Girls’. It was like a religious revelation. I’m honestly still shook by Carly Gay Jepsen’s ability to serve up a delicious bop. The music video is also all kinds of incredible. I actually just watched it again while I was inserting it into this post.