Federal government to slash university debts for rural and regional nurses and doctors

The federal government has announced a new scheme which will wipe the university debts of nurses and doctors who work in rural, regional, and remote areas.

Troubles and Nibbles

Now in their final semester at the University of Melbourne and full of invaluable wisdom to offer their younger peers, Grusha and Vaidehi hope that their new show, Troubles and Nibbles, will help incoming international students find their stroke in the big pond.

Hailing from India, both Grusha and Vaidehi are familiar with the tribulations of settling into not only a new school—full of new faces and expectations—but into a new country, with unfamiliar customs and routines. Feeling now that they could have benefitted from the wisdom and advice of senior students, both were clear about one thing when they applied for their Radio Fodder show: they would aspire to be the senior students they always needed.

Grusha and Vaidehi navigate topics such as homesickness, accommodation, budgeting and exam stress. Using their five-year age gap to their benefit, they hope that students of all ages will relate to their experiences.

“I believe that our show caters to a variety of age groups, as they can relate to the different types of experiences that Vaidehi and I have had because of our ages.”
—Grusha

Grusha and Vaidehi also hope that their show will help others feel more comfortable and at home in their new surroundings—whether that is getting to know community spaces at university or finding a sense of community through otherwise isolating Zoom screens. Feature segments include ‘Trouble of the week’ which navigates the common problems faced by international students, and ‘Nibbles of the week’, where the co-hosts share their insider knowledge on their favourite things to do in Melbourne when it is safe to do so.

At the moment, Grusha and Vaidehi’s discussions prioritise topics sensitive to the hardships of lockdowns, namely mental health and exam stress. Further, with the international student cohort scattered all over the world, the show aims to cultivate a sense of inclusivity and community by exploring topics relevant to all students, rather than limiting their discussions to a strictly on campus experience.

If you’re in need of some guidance on your university journey, or perhaps you just want to listen in and pretend you’re hanging out with some friends instead of sitting by yourself in your room (definitely not me), then tune into Troubles and Nibbles every Thursday at 6pm on Radio Fodder. Make sure to also follow them on Instagram @troublesandnibbles.