“Where’s the essay, OP?”: TikTok is ADHD Culture, Tumblr is Autism Culture

It is a truth universally acknowledged—at least among those in the know—that different neurotypes will naturally gravitate towards different social media platforms. Before taking a deep dive into cyberspace, let’s backtrack a little and start with the basics of neurotypes and the neurodiversity movement. The term ‘neurotype’ arose out of the neurodiversity movement, the founding ideology of which was kickstarted by Autistic Australian sociologist Judy Singer in 1998.

nonfictionstaffwriters

It is a truth universally acknowledged—at least among those in the know—that different neurotypes will naturally gravitate towards different social media platforms.

Before taking a deep dive into cyberspace, let’s backtrack a little and start with the basics of neurotypes and the neurodiversity movement. The term ‘neurotype’ arose out of the neurodiversity movement, the founding ideology of which was kickstarted by Autistic Australian sociologist Judy Singer in 1998.

At a time where Autistic people were generally seen as incapable of empathy, alien and deliberately behaving in “incorrect” ways that needed intervention, Singer coined the term ‘neurodiversity’ to advocate for Autistic rights and reframe these so-called “deficits” as natural human diversity. Later, multiply-neurodivergent Hapa activist Kassiane Asasumasu coined the term ‘neurodivergent’ to emphasise “a mind that diverges” from the societally accepted majority. Somebody with an acquired brain injury can be said to have a different neurotype to somebody with no history of cranial or neurological impairment, just as an Autistic person has a different neurotype to somebody with epilepsy—all of these individuals are neurodivergent, who behave, act, and respond differently based on their unique, individual brain configuration.

When engaged with something they’re personally interested in, Autistic people can focus their attention incredibly well. While the science behind this is unclear, it is likely due to the fact that Autistic people are hypersensitive to the world around them and constantly pick up on sensory, emotional, and external stimuli. Ergo, telescoping in, or hyperfixating, on one particular thing—be it a particular topic, article of clothing, a TV show character, a texture or food—becomes a way to filter and process these massive quantities of incoming information.

Similarly, people with ADHD also experience information processing differences. However, rather than having a blanket deficiency in attention—as if attention is some kind of engine and ADHDers are constantly running on two cylinders—people with ADHD simply find it difficult to regulate the subject of their attention. Like Autistic people, individuals with ADHD also find it extremely difficult to shift their focus when engaged in an activity they enjoy or, in the event of a hobby smorgasbord, frequently “attention-hop” from one to another to stimulate their attention.

Excerpt from a post by Tumblr user polythremed

The internet and modern social media platforms owe a significant debt to the sustained participation and experiences of neurodivergent users. We can see the aforementioned Autistic zeroing in frequently on the hyperfixation on particular media, characters, fandoms, and genres on Tumblr. Founded in 2007, the growth of Tumblr’s userbase coincided with the rise in popularity of TV and film series Supernatural (2005-2020), Sherlock (2010-2017), the modern revival of Doctor Who (2005-present), Harry Potter (2001-2011), Twilight (2008-2012), and the beginning of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (approximately 2008-2012). Many came to Tumblr for the express purpose of creating, sharing, posting, discussing, responding to, and connecting with similarly like-minded fans. Unimpeded by character limits, Tumblr users would create text posts to discuss objects or topics of interest, which often resembled multi-paragraph articles or short-form essays.

Excerpt from a post by Tumblr user iamthestrangerinmoscow

The nature of fandom neatly dovetails with the term ‘special interests’, originally used by the Autistic community and more recently by the ADHD community, to refer to the specific depth of knowledge and profound interest in certain hobbies and favourite topics. Autistic levels of engagement with special interests are generally in-depth and sustained, while people with ADHD (very generally) require a wider, more varied range of stuff to catch the waves of their attention. Taking that into consideration, it’s no surprise that TikTok has witnessed an explosion of people with ADHD sharing their experiences in recent years.

Excerpt from a post by Tumblr user ghostdrinkssoup, Excerpt from a post by Tumblr user aevios

Officially launched in 2017, TikTok is a social media platform made up of user-created videos ranging from 60 seconds to three minutes. In order to engage and maintain user interest, TikTok relies on rapid scrolling and short bursts of content, which are curated via an algorithm into a highly personalised “For You” feed. In other words, almost tailor-made for people with ADHD. The content is short enough to not overextend an ADHD person’s attention and, by virtue of the algorithm, almost immediately engages deeply with their personal interests.

Linguists searching for evidence of a specific neurodivergent “cyber-dialect” on TikTok and Tumblr might need to take some time. However, I would argue that searching for a specific “language” illustrates something I’ve personally observed neurotypical people often fail to grasp. Whether in sustained long-form like the Autistic community (aka “Tumblr-short-essay-style”), or in short bursts like the ADHD community (aka “TikTok-even-shorter-video-style”), espousing special interests is a form of social exchange in and of itself. I listen to my neurodivergent friends tell me all about the Neolithic period and rowing, and after some extrapolation, I find I know so much more about their personalities and perspectives on life than if we’d made small talk.

In 2010, autism researcher and sociologist Nancy Bagatell noted in her ethnographic study that, in cyberspace, many Autistic people were—and still are—doing the very thing that autism supposedly prevents them from doing: communicating. The internet, according to Bagatell, freed not just Autistic but other neurodivergent and disabled people “from the constraints of typical ways of perceiving and interacting” to “meet each other, share stories, and provide support”. The neurodiversity movement, the autism rights movement, and the widespread proliferation of the internet and fandoms made it possible for all neurodivergent people to envision community and connection.

Want to know how to spot a (mostly) ADHD/Autistic space in online spaces? Follow the breadcrumbs of “intense engagement with specific areas of interest”. Interests are communication. Hopefully, this will lead people to reevaluate just what’s going on socially across different online spaces and to question whether the internet is as neurotypical as originally thought. If I had my way, I would lead an army of sociologists to research just that, but that’s my special interest at the moment. Facts and interesting things and fun topics and rambling passionately about things you care about. Aaahh, that’s the stuff.

As a final note, for any neurodivergent person feeling isolated or lacking community, don’t judge the value and worth of your social interactions based on neurotypical standards. I doubt the next random neurotypical person you pass on the street would know half as much as you do about rocks*. And I sincerely doubt a neurotypical person would be able to divine half your life story from your opinion on artificial geodes.

*Assuming rocks is a special interest of yours. If it’s 15th-century marginalia, here’s one thing you should know about me—I find snails overrated**

**If you know, you know