Carlton Cheap Eats

<p>We at Unimelb should consider ourselves lucky when it comes to food and coffee on campus. Whether it’s brunch at Seven Seeds, a quick beverage from Standing Room or stress eating at Pronto Pizza (because when has pizza ever let you down?), we have an abundance of delicacies around almost every corner. But once in [&hellip;]</p>

Newsnonfiction

We at Unimelb should consider ourselves lucky when it comes to food and coffee on campus. Whether it’s brunch at Seven Seeds, a quick beverage from Standing Room or stress eating at Pronto Pizza (because when has pizza ever let you down?), we have an abundance of delicacies around almost every corner. But once in a while it’s good to escape the hustle of campus life, and that’s where our friendly neighborhood Carlton (you know, that suburb we pretty much own) comes in. Carlton is a student-friendly culinary wonderland -– there are so many delicious and super affordable cafés and restaurants literally just around the corner (and no, not Inties). So grab your student cards, wear your loosest fitting clothes and name your future food baby, because here’s the Carlton Cheap Eats list.

Find yourself working late at the library and craving a home cooked meal, but with zero funds? Thresherman’s Bakehouse is the way to go. Located on Faraday Street (right next to the house of the Faraday Street Cat), Thresherman’s boasts a variety of cheap, freshly cooked treats – from quiches the size of pizzas and house-made lasagna to mouthwatering chocolate éclairs. They even offer a special three-choice meal that changes daily and have entire loaves of thick-crust bread for as little as $3.

FarragoFood_70x26_2

Skip the campus queues with a cup of coffee and a pastry at Lygon’s Heart Attack and Vine. Inspired by Venetian cuisine (and the name of a Tom Waits album), Heart Attack and Vine is the home of Italian-style tapas, pastries and quality coffee, making it the perfect place to sit with a hot coffee and your laptop to ‘study’, catch up with a friend or chat with someone you want to impress.

FarragoFood_70x26_3

Need to drown your sorrows in frozen yoghurt and tiny strawberries? Look no further than Yo-Chi on Faraday. Seriously, if you haven’t been yet, you need to make it a priority. Everything, and I mean everything there is amazing – I recommend the peanut butter cups. Also it’s 98 per cent fat-free, so it’s basically like you’re eating healthily, right?

FarragoFood_70x35_4

If you’re looking for a more substantial meal, then just a few blocks away from campus on Drummond Street is the amazing Vincent the Dog. Boasting a five-star rating on Urbanspoon, Vincent the Dog is the perfect place for a cheap brunch date (their smashed avocado is unbelievably good) or just a really delicious beverage. If you’re a green/herbal tea fanatic like me, I definitely recommend stopping by – their green tea is insanely good.

FarragoFood_70x19_5

And last, but certainly not least, we have Sea Salt on Lygon, makers of tantalizing fish and chip goodness. They offer a 10 per cent discount if you flash your student card on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, because who doesn’t love discount fish and chips?

So next time you find yourself hungry and poor, with a few hours to kill, or needing a place to sit with a coffee and pretend to be studying, explore the culinary delights of Carlton – your wallet and stomach will thank you.