We Are Not Perfect

<p>Chih-Yu Chou provides an overview of the special general meeting held at North Court on the 5th April.</p>

A Special General Meeting (SGM) was held in North Court on 5 April by the University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU).

SGMs are called to consider special resolutions, which were for amendments to the UMSU Constitution in this case. All University of Melbourne students were eligible to attend, participate and vote at the meeting. Special resolutions require a 75 per cent majority of votes in favour in order to be approved.

There were nine constitutional amendments proposed in the meeting, two of which – regarding Media Officer honoraria and a spelling error – failed to pass.

The amendments also included updating definitions, language and introducing an honorarium for the Burnley Campus Coordinator.

Some proposed amendments focused on the definition of words relating to gender identification issues in the constitution. For instance, Motion 2.1 aimed to remove the asterisk following the word ‘trans’ and update the definition of trans. Another amendment suggested replacing gendered pronouns in the constitution with more inclusive language, such as ‘their’. Both constitutional amendments were approved.

Other amendments proposed to introduce an honorarium for the position of Burnley Campus Coordinator and the removal of Students’ Council’s ability to determine the remuneration rates of Media Officers. However, the latter motion failed.

Motion 2.6 sought to ensure that meetings held by UMSU are accessible to all students. This proposal was put to the floor and carried without dissent.

“To be able to participate in stuff as much as non-disabled students, this is a really easy and positive way to do that,” said UMSU Disabilities Officer Jess Kapuscinski-Evans.

In addition, there was a spelling error in the current UMSU Constitution. The amendment aimed to correct the word from ‘calandar’ to ‘calendar’.

UMSU Welfare Officer, Sarah Xia, determinedly told a crowd gathered in North Court “let’s spell it right. Let’s correct it. Let’s move on.”

A debate against the amendment from UMSU Media Officer, Sebastian Dodds, was presented. “This spelling error should remain to remind us we are not perfect.”

This proposal failed to pass in the end.

According to UMSU’s Constitution, if the proposed Constitution is adopted, the General Secretary shall engage an external solicitor to ensure the numbering and internal referencing in the Constitution is coherent and correct, and lodge the final document with Consumer Affairs Victoria for approval.

According to UMSU’s Constitution, if the proposed Constitution is adopted, the General Secretary shall engage an external solicitor to ensure the numbering and internal referencing in the Constitution is coherent and correct, and lodge the final document with Consumer Affairs Victoria for approval.