State Electorate Profile: Brunswick

Abbey Saxon gives you the political rundown on Melbourne's most (in)famous inner-northern suburb.

Why the Left Sucks: An Inquiry into Campus’s Most Hated Political Group

It is no exaggeration to say that The University of Melbourne is one of the largest breeding grounds for leftist thought in the country. For those of us who have been on campus–walked past the columns

A Very Condensed and Superficial Impression of the Registered Parties for the 2022 Federal Election

This is the first in a series of summaries of all 38 registered political parties. First up are the 11 parties that currently make up both houses of parliament.

A Very Condensed and Superficial Impression of the Registered Parties for the 2022 Federal Election as garnered by a Tired Politics Student’s Totally Detailed and Definitely not Skimmed Research

Note: If you want to check who the running parties/candidates are for your electorate/state, you can use this link to find out.

The Australian Greens: A left-leaning party. Ask any conservative individual and they’ll probably give you a pretty “accurate” summary—everything classified as pejoratively “leftie”—affordable housing, serious climate policy, removing tertiary education debt, free medical care—is the stomping ground of the Greens and the hopes and dreams of young Australians come true. Currently one MP and nine senators. Adam Bandt is the leader of this Party and also the current MP for Melbourne.

The Australian Labor Party: One of the two major parties. Currently has 62 MPs and 25 senators, led by Anthony Albanese. Health and education are the main issues of expertise in this party’s policies. Historically left-leaning, but can make surprising votes so calling them centrist may be the safe bet. This is due in part to the many factions that make up Labor, such as Labor Left and Labor Right. Unlike their counterparts, they’re staunchly opposed to forming any sort of Coalition even if they’re only 100,000 odd votes off winning an election. 

Liberal Party of Australia: The other major Party, with 36 MPs and 27 Senators. They get a lot of votes from conservative electorates but succeeded into the government in the last and previous elections by forming a coalition with the Nationals (and others)—an excellent demonstration of why preferencing is important. Right-leaning, industry and defence focused… the ones whose “interesting” way of governance we’ve lived with for the last two terms. Scott Morrison aka ScoMo hails from here and is the current leader of the party.  

The Nationals: Historically one of the main three parties in the House of Representatives. Has 12 parliamentarians at the moment who formed a coalition government. Right-wing and very agriculture and industry focused, which makes sense given they are exclusively voted in in regional seats. Barnaby Joyce (the current deputy PM) is the party leader.

Centre Alliance: Formerly Nick Xenophon Team, this is a South Australian based party with two current party members—one in each house. Their calling cards seem to be industry and “governmental transparency”, with a side of whatever is deemed in South Australia’s interest. All in all pretty centrist, though many of their party members are former Liberal Party members or staffers. They were also the party whose vote meant the university reform bill passed. Fs in the chat for our sad humanities students.

Katter's Australian Party: The kind of party you’d expect has 13 Australian flags on its website homepage. Very rural focused. Headed by—big surprise—Bob Katter, who was also the only MP from his party this term.

Jacqui Lambie Network: Named after the eponymous senator and party leader for Tasmania. Main points seem to be around integrity, veteran’s affairs, and foreign interference. Has two candidates for the senate this election.

Liberal Democratic Party: These folks seem to REALLY want “freedom” ... Currently their only senator is Sam McMahon from the NT.

Liberal National Party of Queensland: Not to be confused with the Coalition currently in government. The merger of the Liberals and Nationals that was formed in 2008 in the state of Queensland. They have 20 MPs and four senators.

United Australia Party: I’ll give them this, the ones that love them REALLY love them. Conservative, run by billionaire Clive Palmer, has some totally factual and not at all selective opinions on covid…. You know what, just read the policies. Or the news. Or you might be safe running off your presuppositions here. Craig Kelly is their only member in parliament.

Pauline Hanson’s One Nation: If you’re not even a little familiar with this party at this point, I’d love to visit the rock you’ve been living under, it must be a peaceful place. Conservative is one way to put it—they’re the kind of party that likes to put forward motions like, “it’s okay to be white.” Currently has two senators: Pauline Hanson and Malcolm Roberts.

Next time, we will tackle a chunk of the other 27 political parties. Ciao for now!

Farrago's magazine cover - Edition Five 2022

EDITION SIX 'RETROFUTURISM' AVAILABLE NOW!

Our last print edition of 2022 is here! This wild, visionary edition is filled with burning nostalgia, glittering hope, and tantalising visions of the future, past, and present.