Geelong Gallery Host the Work of Australian Art Great Clarice Beckett in New Exhibition ATMOSPHERE

Although Atmosphere is Clarice Beckett’s first major public exhibition held in the Geelong Gallery, her name is synonymous with the understanding of modernism in Australian art. I didn’t know any of this going into the exhibition but I came out a lot more knowledgeable about this history.

Fodderreviews

Beckett was born in Casterton, Victoria in 1887. Growing up, she spent a lot of time in Ballarat and South Yarra, which later became the inspirations for her paintings. She became well known for her perception and depiction of atmospheric phenomena such as light, water and reflection.

Each section of her exhibition explores a different weather type, from sunny and warm to stormy and windy. I particularly liked her series ‘Sunsets’ and 'Reflected lights’ and the way she portrays water and reflection via her chosen medium–mostly oil, either on board or canvas. The paintings with water really stood out to me and as I walked closer it really felt like real water with the most lifelike reflections.

Her paintings depict nature and climate in a very evocative way. Elements like smoke, rain, and soft sunshine were where she made unique use of tone to capture the lightness and darkness of colours.

However, this type of art can feel a little detached from today’s young audience. I like to consider myself an art enthusiast, but I have to admit I was struggling to keep myself engaged throughout and found myself rushing towards the next painting waiting for something more exciting. But that’s where the immersive experience came in. This immersive experience consisted of an interactive element where you can type in any location in the world into an iPad, choose a Beckett painting style, and have the location painted in that style on the three walls of the room.

The immersive element of the exhibition helps connect the youth (like me) to Beckett and her work as an artist. I was in the exhibition with three other people, who were all middle to old-aged women. And I was the only one who spent ten minutes in the immersive room. The soothing music helped transport me into any place in the world that I desired and experience it through Beckett’s eyes.

You can catch Clarice Beckett’s Atmosphere exhibition at Geelong Gallery until July 9.