A richer student experience, but for who? The discriminatory effects of abandoning dual delivery.

With the days of strict lockdowns and cautious safety measures seemingly behind us, the University of Melbourne has implemented a return to full on-campus learning for all undergraduate and most postg

The American private equity giant buying up our local pubs

Have you noticed that something hasn’t quite been the same about your favourite pubs since the pandemic? Perhaps the pints are costlier, the menu has changed, the staff’s smiles appear forced and ther

Normalisation of Unpaid Trials: How Melbourne’s Casual Job Market Exploits International Students

Shivani, 21, moved from India six months ago. In April, she was called in for her first casual job at a kebab joint on Flinders Street. The marketing graduate was asked by the owner to do 12 hours

On Dreading Netflix's Upcoming Depp v. Heard Documentary

A few weeks ago, Netflix announced its new documentary, Depp vs. Heard, set to premiere later this month. The promises made were lofty: to re-examine the trial, to analyze the mass hysteria it provoke

Equitable Contraceptive Responsibility: Pioneering Gender-Neutral Contraceptive Solutions

If it takes two to tango, why does only one have to suffer? There should be more safe and effective methods available for men so that we can all equitably share the contraceptive responsibility.

Notice of By-Election

Notice is hereby given that nominations will open at 12 noon on Monday April 3, for the following positions: Indigenous Representative on Student Council Southbank Campus Representative on Student Council Members of Indigenous Committee (5 positions) Southbank Campus Committee (3 positions) Burnley Campus Committee (3 positions

Notice of By-Election

University of Melbourne Annual Student By-Election

April 24-26 2023

Notice is hereby given that nominations will open at 12 noon on Monday April 3, for the following positions:

• Indigenous Representative on Student Council
  • Southbank Campus Representative on Student Council
  • Members of Indigenous Committee (5 positions)
  • Southbank Campus Committee (3 positions)
  • Burnley Campus Committee (3 positions)

Complete nominations here.

Nominations close at 12 noon on Wednesday April 12.

If polling is required, it will take place from 10 am on Monday April 24 to 1pm on Wednesday April 26. Polling will be online, with help centres on campus.

Only Indigenous students are eligible to nominate and vote for the Indigenous positions, and only students enrolled at the relevant campuses are eligible to nominate and vote for the campus positions.

Tickets: Any fifteen (15) students may register a ticket to run in the election by filling in the appropriate form. Applications for Ticket Registration open and close at the same time as nominations. It is not necessary to be on a ticket to run in the election.

Tickets that are running candidates for multi-member positions should also submit a form showing the order in which they wish their candidates to appear. Candidates running for positions that cannot be held concurrently should submit a form showing which positions they wish to hold in case of a conflict.

Ticket registration forms, candidate order forms and conflict of position forms must all be submitted by close of nominations. All forms are available from the Returning Officer or can be downloaded from the election website (see below).

Download ticket registration form here.

Please note that all deadlines are strict and cannot be extended. Candidates are strongly urged to lodge their forms well before the deadlines. Nominations should be submitted at http://union.unimelb.edu.au/elections. All other forms should be emailed as an attachment to the deputy Returning Officer or an authorised electoral official. Where this is not practicable, please contact the Returning Officer to make other arrangements. Do not post forms without prior arrangement, as no responsibility will be taken for late or lost forms under those circumstances.

Contact details

Visit the Election website: http://union.unimelb.edu.au/elections

Returning Officer: Stephen Luntz (Ph: 0438 667 787) sluntz@abovequota.com.au

Deputy Returning Officer: Patrick Clearwater (Ph:0431 666 111) pclearwater@abovequota.com.au

Email: ReturningOfficer@unimelb.edu.au (note this has yet to be activated)

Mail: UMSU Returning Officer, c/o Above Quota Elections, PO Box 2157, Fitzroy, VIC 3065

No person can stand for election if they are employed half-time or more by UMSU, the University, MU Student Union Ltd or related bodies, or any combination thereof.
For further information on eligibility to stand and to vote in the election, please consult the Election Regulations, available at the UMSU Office and on the election website. Copies of the Regulations can also be obtained at the Election Office, where further enquiries are welcome.

Stephen Luntz

Returning Officer

Above Quota Elections Pty Ltd

3rd April 2023

Farrago's magazine cover - Edition Two 2023

EDITION FOUR 'MULTIVERSE' AVAILABLE NOW!

What would you find if you walked through the looking glass into another time? Why are all the plastic googly eyes you spilt over your bedroom floor following your every move? The entire universe and beyond is your disco ball of scintillating possibility.