Campus News Briefing: Goodbye Glyn, Tribunal, Dancing

<p>Welcome to your latest campus news briefing.</p>

Click here to stay up to date with campus news and receive Farrago‘s news briefings delivered to your inbox every fortnight.

Out with the old, in with the new
Professor Duncan Maskell has now commenced his term as the University’s vice-chancellor, succeeding Glyn Davis who served in the role for nearly 14 years. Maskell was formerly the senior pro-vice-chancellor (planning and resources) at University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom. Davis will join Australia National University’s Crawford School of Public Policy.

Tribunal throws out appeal
The University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) electoral tribunal rejected More!’s appeal for a re-election for the general secretariat and women’s office. The appeal made allegations against the returning officers over defective conduct of the election.

New dean of arts
Professor Russell Goulbourne has been appointed as the University’s new dean of arts, commencing his term in January 2019. Goulbourne, who has previously served as the dean of arts at King’s College London, will replace Professor Denise Varney.

Rar-right figures on campus
On 7 September, three right-wing figures, one of whom was wearing a shirt which read “it’s okay to be white”, came onto the Parkville campus claiming to be interviewing students about the recent Liberal Party leadership spill. The trio was confronted by students and staff before leaving the campus.

UniMelb number one in Aus
The University of Melbourne has retained its ranking as the number one university in Australia in the Times Higher Education rankings. UniMelb has ranked 32nd in the world.

Freya dances for 24 hours
UniMelb student Freya McGrath danced for 24 hours as part of her project for Melbourne Fringe Festival. SHe originally performed the project as part of Mudfest last year, UMSU’s biennial creative arts festival.

Collated by Ashleigh Barraclough