Campus News Briefing: Trains, Consent and Clubs

<p>Click here to stay up to date with campus news and receive Farrago&#8217;s news briefings delivered to your inbox every fortnight.</p>

Click here to stay up to date with campus news and receive Farrago‘s news briefings delivered to your inbox every fortnight.

New campus for engineering students

The University will be constructing a new campus for the Melbourne School of Engineering at Fishermans Bend, on seven hectares of land purchased from the Victorian Government.

Consent matters

The University has launched its “consent matters” training module, which requires students to pass the online module before they’re enrolled in the University. The course is designed to educate students on consent, in wake of the results from the Australian Human Rights Commission’s survey into students’ experiences of sexual assault and sexual harassment.

Metro madness: what to expect as Parkville Station works commence in 2018
Major works on the new Parkville Station are scheduled to commence in February, necessitating the closure of Grattan Street for up to five years. University of Melbourne students travelling to and from campus may face transport disruptions and pedestrian delays as works commence on the $11 billion Metro Tunnel project.

Enterprise bargaining

The National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU) held a meeting on 14 February to update staff members on their process in negotiating with the University on the enterprise bargaining agreement. A motion was passed to allow the NTEU to go to the Fair Work Commission for a protected action ballot to launch industrial action if no progress is made with the University by 14 March.

BAE

The University has signed a memorandum of understanding with defence manufacturing company BAE Systems Australia. If the company is selected to supply the Australian Army with its AMV35 Combat Reconnaissance Vehicle, it will be building a manufacturing and innovation centre at Fishermans Bend—where the University’s new engineering campus will be located. Student will be able to access the facilities at the centre, and leverage BAE System’s global activities, networks and early careers programs.

Last year, students at the University launched a campaign called ‘Lockout Lockheed’, calling the University to sever its ties with defence manufacturing company Lockheed Martin.

Space for study

The construction of a new student precinct, beginning this year, has triggered discussions regarding the future of study spaces on campus.

A University spokesperson confirmed that several surveys of the student body were held in late 2017, with the results clearly indicating that this issue is of high priority.

Problem provost

Concerns have been raised over the appointment of Mark Considine as the University’s provost, due to his history of downsizing and cutting funding from the Faculty of Arts during his term as dean.

Budget breakdown

The University of Melbourne Student Union passed its 2018 budget on 18 December 2017, bringing with it a raft of funding increases to the student representative departments.

Not special enough

Special consideration is an important university service, but some students are becoming concerned by the inconsistencies with which staff apply its provisions. Read our feature article here.

Your guide to clubs and societies

Joining a club can be one of the most enriching things you do as a humble JAFFY. Read our guide to clubs and societies here.

Collated by Ashleigh Barraclough